18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Boiling Cartomizers - FAIL

ridecandyredridecandyred Posts: 41Member
edited August 2011 in V2 Cigs Product Q&A
So i've followed this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_as6puor7Z0 step by step and every single cart that i'm filling just doesn't vape.  Try to take a draw and it gives a strange taste with almost no vapor production.

1.  Pop caps/rubber off
2.  Fill up pot with water and put carts in
3.  Let the carts sit in boiling water for 5 minutes.
4.  Remove them, put them in a strainer and rinse them off.
5.  Boil for another 5 minutes
6.  Rinse off and blow out the excess.
7.  Sit them mouthpiece side down overnight
8.  Fill from the top end at 45º angle until the cart is filled but not leaking

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• Rule62Rule62 Posts: 3,237V2 Veteran
    Dunno. I have never had a carto fail after boiling out that was working properly prior to cleaning. I do let mine dry longer than overnight though. Usually 2 or 3 days. I have enough used cartos that I can rotate them.
  • k333lyk333ly Posts: 154Member
    could be still wet...even a drop of water makes a difference....I'm new to this..but I've had to have them sit for a few days before they'd do anything. (Maybe) don't fill them up so soon...let them dry for a few days and then fill them up with juice then just to be sure???
  • jrny1jrny1 Posts: 1,082Member

Like k333ly said probably still lil wet. I usually let sit for a few days before refilling. Some even put in oven after cleaning to speed up drying the cartos. I have jumped the gun on refilling after let sit overnight and didn't vape very well and so let the others sit for a couple more days and vaped great.

• VapestackVapestack Posts: 707Member
    I dry them for a couple days, and then toss them in a old food dehydrater for a couple hours before refilling and they are dry as dust.
  • EarthpigEarthpig Posts: 4,754V2 Veteran
    Sounds like not dry enough to refill.
    Process was right, but you rushed the last step.
  • m0ng0m0ng0 Posts: 757Member ✭✭
    i just tried a batch myself was just going to let mine sit on their sides as it seems more air might get thru?  4 fresh v2 coffees into the pot  along with 4 poorly marked blanks (coffee is not for me unfortunately)   I did notice the coffee carts have a soft rubber mouth piece tip instead of the hard plastic disc type?  whats that all about?  I think the soft ones will work better as many of the hard plastic ones are trashed from paperclips and refills....wish me luck !
  • ridecandyredridecandyred Posts: 41Member
    Both batches ive boiled have been at least a full day.  I'll let them sit a few more and see if i get better results.
  • lulu836lulu836 Posts: 762V2 Veteran ✭✭
    I boiled about 20 a few days ago.  Outside temp was 110 deg so put them on a pizza pan, put out on the patio and they were bone dry in 3 hours.
  • TamyTamy Posts: 1,864V2 Veteran
    The trick I used was to put them on a flat wire strainer and put a fan under it. I pushed in the air and dried them in about 8 hr.
  • puppynursepuppynurse Posts: 1,514V2 Veteran
    I also tried the boiling method to clean carts and I let them dry for 2 days all of them failed I will no longer boil carts I will just refill them without boiling and also use blanks.  They work well when refilled without boiling and it does not seem to change the taste.  Maybe it does but I dont want to ruin anymore carts.
  • m0ng0m0ng0 Posts: 757Member ✭✭
    i boiled mine twice this morning then let them sit in the sun all day and filled one tonight, this was a full coffee (thats why I did them twice) no problems at all just creamy coconut....a new fave I must say !
  • coritroncoritron Posts: 190Member

As @Vapestack mentioned, a food dehydrator would do the trick to ensure they are dry and ready for refilling..

Another way that could work rather well is to put the partially dried carts in a container of dry (uncooked) rice - it has amazing absorbency (and this method has been used by many people who's mobile phones have been water damaged)

Worth a try I say

:-?
  • nomorecigsnomorecigs Posts: 1,582Member
    In lieu of boiling, rinsing thru with vodka will kill most flavors & as an alcohol, will evaporate.  Plus, even if tiny wet will not hurt as its also used to thin VG juices too!
  • AngelsRUsAngelsRUs Posts: 1,710Member
    I follow all those steps, then put them in oven 170 degrees for an hour, then let sit for at least a day or two.  Like others have said they probably weren't dry enough.
  • OwlOwl Posts: 158Member
    I was wondering you think it would be okay to put them in a laundry bag in the dryer?  Also, the cola cart I think it was that one had another clear plastic ring in it.  What's that all about?  I just tossed it is that okay?
  • coritroncoritron Posts: 190Member
    @Owl - I noticed the same thing when I received my starter kit today :/

I tossed it and now get more vapor, and it's a WHOLE lot easier to drip fill :)

I have been sucking on a Sahara cart all day so it was getting pretty low.. I added about 5 drops of 18mg pucker apple and a couple of 0mg menthol - it's kinda like a cross between a peppermint version of menthol with a slightly smokey/fruity taste. I think I'm onto a winner here :)

Happy vaping :-bd
  • nomorecigsnomorecigs Posts: 1,582Member
    Owl, all the banging around in the dryer, besides the noise, might make the center post jiggle around.  I don't know, you could try!  The O ring in some carto's is there to help keep the juice from creeping up into your mouth.  Most everyone tosses em!   Coritron, that's what I do, call em vape parfaits!  Layer drops of flavor over flavor! 
    A friend on another forum said they tried a dryer...and they wouldn't again...so I'm thinking it isn't advisable!

I usually only layer the vanilla and chocolate carts.  Cherry if I have a cherry blossom.  I'll wait to experiment when I start playing with juice....
    Clothes dryer gets too hot,,, I telling yawl , hit the garage sales, second hand stores, you'll find a food dehydrator right next to the bread machines , for 10.00 , mine is round , has four trays, and four hours you carts are dry as as camel breath
    I would love a dehydrator Vapestack but me thinks it would be in constant use foodwise!

originally chrismas gift from one of the kids, some years back,,,, I made some jerky,, not bad,,, tried fruit  but it sucked musta done something wrong,, banana chips worked okay,  but the apples  and pears were like harness leather. So up in the spare bedroom closet it went,, untill vaping, Reborn,  and it found it's calling in life,,,,,, I would think there might even be a market to recycle  old used dehyrators into the e cig industry..

LOL...one day I may have to try it!
  • OwlOwl Posts: 158Member

Thanks for the advice.  I will NOT be using the clothes dryer then but will start looking around for a food dehydrator that sounds better.  Yard sales are really big here so I'll chk it out  And glad I was okay throwing away that extra ring inside. Even using the oven like Angel does sound good, I might just do that if I can't find one at a sale for 10 bucks.  Vapestack you are just too funny you make me laugh all the time...camel breath  what a visual you paint.

• KemosabeKemosabe Posts: 339Member
    rice seems like it would work amazingly
  • puppynursepuppynurse Posts: 1,514V2 Veteran
    Well I decided to try the boil method again and this time I let carts sit for 5 days, Still failed its good I only boiled 10 none of them worked even after sitting for 5 days to dry.  I am sure that after 5 days they had to be dry.  I am no longer boiling carts.
  • DJ_LeeDJ_Lee Posts: 3Member
    It could be that the e-liquid is not making it all the way down to the heat-coil. Using the drip-method alone you'd need to let it sit for hours and top-up as it is absorbed. I find the quickest method is to use the Taryn Spin method to force the liquid down to the coil - just don't forget to use the butt-plug-condom to plug the thread-end otherwise it's going to get messy! ;-)
  • DJ_LeeDJ_Lee Posts: 3Member
    By the way, the Reverse Taryn Spin is an excellent way to remove most of the water after a boil. Still needs to sit to dry completely though. Also, I find cous-cous to be much more absorbant than rice. ;-)
  • CynsonyaCynsonya Posts: 5,804Member
    edited July 2012
    This could have been mentioned above (too lazy to read them all) I reverse taryn spin the H20 out after final rinse then toss them in a 200 degree oven for 2 hours. Never failed me yet. Cool for half hour at room temp, fill and vape away.
  • sdoddsdodd Posts: 1,174Member ✭✭
    It may be that you are dripping to fill. I only drip to top off my carts. I use the condom method with 15 to 18 drops, then spin, then drip to top off if necessary.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 8Member
    yes reverse tyran spin works well for me. Boil them the night before and  let it dry lying sideways. Then reverse spin to get the moisture out
  • sclintonsclinton Posts: 83Member ✭✭
    I have to let mine dry for atleast a week. If I try too early I get the nasty taste also.
  • DaddyCatDaddyCat Posts: 6,786Member ✭✭✭✭
    yes reverse tyran spin works well for me. Boil them the night before and  let it dry lying sideways. Then reverse spin to get the moisture out
    @Kelvin, did you mis-type that? Boil, reverse spin to get the moisture out then let them dry lying sideways makes more sense
     I prefer a warm oven for an hour but it's summer so the dashboard of a car does the same thing without heating the house.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 8Member
    Yes, wasn't thinking! I'm posting on my phone.
  • DaddyCatDaddyCat Posts: 6,786Member ✭✭✭✭

Understood Kelvin. Vape On!   \m/