18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Can you get addicted to V2 Cigs?

Sophie08Sophie08 Posts: 36Member
edited September 2011 in The World of E-Cigarettes
I just ordered a starter kit, and it should be arriving today.  I'm excited.  I've been smoking since high school - I'm now 31, and have come to the point where I want to end this addiction.  When I think about smoking, I feel like I'm more addicted to the physical "act" of smoking than the cigarette itself.  I've gone weeks without smoking - usually when I'm with family, and I always feel fine.  It's when I'm at home or in my car when I feel like having a smoke - it gives me something to do.  That's why I was curious about V2 cigs.  But since I've ordered them, I'm wondering if this addiction to the "act" will keep going.  Does anyone have input on this?  And my husband and I want to try to have a child soon, and I know smoking is a huge no no during pregnancy.  Since V2 cigs still have nicotine, is it safe during pregnancy?  Comments appreciated!

Comments

• MomMom Posts: 2,577V2 Veteran
    Get the 0mg nicotine cartridges. With no nicotine, there's nothing to get addicted to.
  • JackieOJackieO Posts: 10,248Member ✭✭✭
    And that is the only way - because what you are addicted to is nicotine.
  • dcsurvivordcsurvivor Posts: 331Member
    I'm not only addicted, I'm obsessed! Even though I am on the low nicotine level, my plan is to eventually get to 0. However, the hand to mouth thing will probably prevent me from giving it up totally! 
  • Sophie08Sophie08 Posts: 36Member
    After reading more about e cigarettes, I realize that the best way of quitting is to gradually decrease the nicotine level to 0mg.  And dcsurvivor - I'm with you.  It's the "hand to mouth thing" that I seem to love so much!
  • VapestackVapestack Posts: 707Member
    Short answer ,,, yes,, Just watch a vaper who's lost the only batt they brought .
  • blissbliss Posts: 376Member
    lol@vapestack.
    Sophie08, I think I have traded one addiction for another. But at least this way you aren't putting all that crap into your body and the other benefits outweigh every single thing about analogs. I have the hand to mouth thing really band too.
  • MomMom Posts: 2,577V2 Veteran

I had someone this weekend ask me if I was afraid of getting addicted to e-cigs.  I laughed and told them I'm already an addict - to nicotine.  The only difference is the delivery method - and this one is not only cleaner, but allows me to gradually decrease my dosage.

• blissbliss Posts: 376Member
    good point Mom. I am only on day 11 but I have already went from 12mg to 6. I will eventually get to 0 and I fully anticipate that I will be vaping 0's for a very long time. I am enjoying this sooooo much!
  • TamyTamy Posts: 1,864V2 Veteran
    Do some research on nicotine and Pregnancy. I know you can use the patch, but you realy need to talk to a doctor about it.
  • puppynursepuppynurse Posts: 1,514V2 Veteran
    Just go with the 0 nicotine carts if you get pregnant.  Addiction for me it is more of an obsession that has turned into a very fun hobby.  I love experimenting with different juices and I have more batteries than one person probably needs but its always best to be prepared well thats what I tell my husband everytime a package arrives with more carts, batteries, or juice.
  • southernstitchsouthernstitch Posts: 413Member
    And I'm all over the map, 0mg, 6mg and 12mg.  But it's all good, I do change them up and have no desire to go above 12mg.  But, yes, I can see where I'm addicted to these already.  So what, as puppynurse said it's fun -- yummy and safer.
  • AngelsRUsAngelsRUs Posts: 1,710Member
    Yes, you definitely can get addicted to e-cigs, IMHO. I am more addicted to the hand-to-mouth relationship myself and it is a pacifier for me in all honesty. I will be a vaporer for life I am sure of that, but I knew I would be a smoker for life until v2 came along. For me it is also like a hobby...like taste testing wines...if that makes any sense.

@Mom and @southernstitch Agreed...safer for me and my kiddies and much yummier!

However, for me I can go longer without the need to vape than I can smokes...weird. I think for me it helps that I am not committed to smoking a whole cigarette to avoid sniping them. I can take a vape or two and put it down instead of 15 puffs. Unless it is coffee...I smoked way more than I vape.
  • daveesldaveesl Posts: 4Member
    Just remember that next to tobacco, eggplant has the highest concentration of nicotine ng/g. That is followed by cauliflower, spinach, green tomatoes and finally potatoes. This is by no means the entire list of food products that nicotine is a component of. Therefore, if you really want to get completely off nicotine, you need to research the various vegetables and tubers that nicotine is an ingredient.

The idea of "second hand nicotine vapor" is simply ludicrous. Eating a portion of eggplant parmesan will provide a much greater dosage of nicotine than any vaporized smoke.

I have a graduate degree in science education and this is one of my pet peeves.  Research funded by the very industries or government agencies that are out to ban or restrict some substance or another.  Not exactly an unbiased review.

dave
    @daveesl  really?!  Wow!  Maybe that is why I like all them veggies....LOL!

Curious question this arises however,...why does my doctor say I can't have back-surgery unless I am no longer smoking do to Nicotine?...Not that I have completely decided whether or not I want to take that risk of being a parapeligic in one day yet or not but that doesn't seem to make sense....
  • daveesldaveesl Posts: 4Member
    As to not having surgery due to nicotine, I really don't understand, unless you have high blood pressure and/or a high heart rate. Nicotine, like coffee, is nothing more than a stimulant, but it is also a vaso-restrictor. That means it increases HR and constricts the blood vessels, thus raising BP.

Now in my case, I have Neurogenic Sinus Bradycardia, this is actually a good thing, as I use both caffeine and nicotine to keep both my HR and BP at levels that allow me to keep from constantly passing out. In other words, my HR and BP are normally at such a low level that most people could barely function. The beauty of e-cigs is that I have found a nicotine delivery system that does not require me to inhale numerous carcinogenic compounds and toxic chemicals found in analogs. But remember, this is a very rare condition.

In your case, the only reason I can see for the nicotine "restriction" is that your HR/BP is high and your doctor doesn't want to do anything that could maybe cause a heart attack or stroke. However, if this were the case then he should tell you to stop ALL stimulants. Plus, when you are under anesthesia, then your HR/BP drop, so once again, it doesn't make a lot of sense on a physiological standpoint.

Also Angel, I completely understand your concern about back surgery. I have 2 crushed vertebrae and 3 ruptured discs due to an accident many years ago. They wanted to fuse my spine and add in the rod. My question was "Ok, now I have occasional often debilitating  pain. However, from what I know from others who have had the fusing and rod procedure, they now have constant, non-stop pain.  Is that true?" Doctor's answer was "yes, that can happen, but not all the time". I said "No thanks, I'll take the occasional crippling pain that lasts for a day or so over the potential of non-stop, life-long pain where I'll become addicted to pain medication".  That was 35 years ago and while to this day, perhaps once a month or so I am in sometimes severe agony, it ain't constant and I'm not a Vicodin addict.

dave
    According to the doctors, nicotine will prevent the rod from fusing to my spine....but if it is in veggies it makes me wonder if there is a certain amount that is okay or what.  My blood pressure is great!  Yeah I would rather have my bad days and know I have good days coming than for it to be lifelong with no hope for a good day.  They don't want to give me anything for pain as it is...so the idea of maybe having worse pain is not a pleasant idear to me.
  • EarthpigEarthpig Posts: 4,754V2 Veteran
    AngelsRUs
    Veggie nic is so miniscule by comparison to tobacco nic, it really cannot be counted as a nic intake of any degree. 
    Understand I don't know your back issues and am not a medical professional. What I do find is doctors can not heal. They are just the knives and try to set things up to (possibly) let you (God) finish the healing process. Since you are not pressed for time to get this done, I would be spending time in prayer for relief and decisions. 
    I know non christians and even most christians don't get this concept, but I've had ailments/pains that have disappeared/corrected themselves , via prayer. Stuff that shouldn't have.
    Many would call that chance, but it's happened too many times for the mathematical probabilities to be so.

Remember, doctors are cutters and even though well meaning, just don't seem to get it all the time. They are shooting for chance/odds. God is your physician . I told one medical professional, "I'm not here to pay for your sons college degree or your new Porsche".  I needed basics...he wanted to go extreme on me. Problem is solved.

Yeppers Earthstack God is the great physician!  I've had a lot of issues that have disappeared as well that the docs said wouldn't and couldn't.  I personally feel I am better off depending on God than having a surgeon take a knife to me.  I trust Him and know He knows what is best and also knows everything and can make much better judgement on what is best for me.  I also know that it is part of life, you get older, the body starts to head downhill little by little.  I still haven't decided on whether to do surgery or not...but at this point I really would rather not go to that extreme.
  • KemosabeKemosabe Posts: 339Member
    how do we know God didnt send that sergeon to help heal you? im not really asking this question btw. just food for thought.
    And I do appreciate it Kemosabe.  However, thus far the doctors have done nothing helpful over the last several years.  Nothing to help with pain.  Took almost 2 years for a doctor to finally get me a walker.  Refusal to run any tests at all for over 2yrs, telling me it is all in my head, or worried that I just wanted pain pills...ummm hello I told you pain pills don't work...yep I'm just trying to get pills ROFLMBO!

Everyone I know who has had a surgery here for back/spine ends up in worse condition.  They even told me that yes I could end up worse off...but that well you're headed that way anyway.  Maybe so but I might have several more years.

The medical in this town is horrid, and is all privately run, all the good docs got run out of town.  Every doc here works for the hospital.  We are looking into docs at a few nearby towns, so I am not completely against it, just want someone who knows what they are doing.
  • lulu836lulu836 Posts: 762V2 Veteran ✭✭
    @Angels..........I had a talk with my primary physician several months ago because he is stil seeing Medicare patients so I asked him how long he was going to stay in private practice.  One of the topics that came up was the number of graduating docs that are choosing to become "hospitalists".  My doc takes on a few residents a couple of times a year to follow him around and get some experience in the real world of medicine.  He admits he is not happy that the young docs coming out of medical school do not want to pursue a specialty or go into private practice themselves.  Hospitalists are GPs with no office hours, don't have to take beeper call and get a regular paycheck from the hospital. At the end of their day they just walk out of the hospital and don't have to go back until their shift starts at 7AM or whenever. 
    edited October 2011
    It is sad.  All the decent doctors around here tried to stick it out in this town.  The hospital made some rukus through the legal system..don't know how it was possible, but all the docs not affiliated with the hospital ended up having to shut down and leave.  No one is happy about it except the hospital and the docs that get the perks you are talking about.  We finally got a car so if it holds up we will probably go out of town to get a second opinion.

What is really bad is the ER here never knows what is wrong with anyone..unless it is obvious like you have a gunshot wound.  They keep you there for hours esp if you have insurance, run all kinds of tests and say hmm no idea.  See your doc and if it happens again come see us again.  Why does anyone want to go back to docs that have no idea what is wrong...not even a clue or idea what it might be?  The hospital recently told me to have a certain test they did redone just to make sure...thankfully the doc I went to see said WHY?  You don't need to have the test done twice!  He flat out said they were just trying to get more money since our deductible is met for the year.  Cause doing this particular test again a day later would not tell us anything different than the one we had done at the hospital.  They even tried to talk us into doing gall bladder surgery even though they found nothing wrong with it.

One of the first docs we saw, told her my symptoms and where pain was and she said let's schedule a hysterectomy.  WHAT?!!?  No tests, no nothing, she just knows that is the prob so lets do it.  Thankfully, I went to a OB elsewhere that was able to say nope that is not the problem. 

Sorry, that is not responsible medicine if you ask me, I don't want to chance it.
    As said. 
    Doctors are guessing many times. test and test again. A girl I know is due for pancreas removal(yup, you read that right). After a year of test and test again, and the use of certain dietary solutions (and a lot of prayer), the pancreas is trying to fire off and run again. 
    Funny part is I've been praying for a non surgical option, and after mass confusion, and over a year of that, the succer is firing off. WHERE WOULD SHE HAVE BEEN, w/o a pancreas? Answer? running on a pump and her life span shortened drastically.

God has his ways.
    Doctors can be of use as tools of God.
    I confer with the Creator before the cutter BEFORE making a move.

I'm also cancer free after horrific odds, but that's for another day.
    God is to be praised for how.
    AMEN Earthpig!  I do the same.  Praying a lot right now.  Praying most definitely for a non surgical option.  God has taken care of me this far!  They wanted to do a c-section on me due to having the placenta in the wrong position.  Mid-wife said it might move.  He said there was no way, as it was completely covering the cervix the only time it moves enough for a normal delivery is if it is just over cervix a little bit.

I said well doc I serve a mighty God...doc said prepare for a c-section.

I gave birth normally and have not had a c-section yet Thanks goes to God!  Doctor was floored.

what were we discussing?...oh yeah Can you get addicted to V2 cigs....yes you can get addicted to e-cigs
  • PHPetPHPet Posts: 133Member
    ^^^hijackers! ;-)
    ^^^ Your thread?