18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Help Thread - Cartomizers, E-liquid, Cleaning, Tips & Troubleshooting

MKvaporMKvapor Posts: 196Member
edited March 2012 in New Members Start Here
Hey everyone,
 I thought I'd put up a post about the v2 cartomizer, as well as some pictures of filling methods, etc. - just as a sort of basic overview of common questions I've noticed being asked on the forum. This is something I've been piecing together for the last few months. While it's not the most comprehensive guide to cartomizers, juicing, cleaning, etc., I figured it should be a good primer to understanding the use and maintenance of a v2 e-cigarette. I figured I would put this up so we could have something on the forum until something better comes along. For anyone new to vaping, it should (hopefully) be enough to make any problems they may be having a little easier to deal with.  Since most of what is in here is bits and pieces of information that I've learned from other forum members, in addition to my own personal experience - I'd just like to say thanks to everyone here for helping to make this possible. I've tried to keep this as opinion-free as possible and just show the basics, but that may be difficult to do - so, any criticism is certainly welcome, especially if anything presented seems in error.
 I thought it would be nice to have a picture guide, since it allows for a quick overview of all the subjects involved. I divided the post into 5 parts:

PART 1 - CARTOMIZER DESIGN
PART 2 - USING E-LIQUID
PART 3 - CLEANING
PART 4 - ACCESSORIES
PART 5 - TIPS & TROUBLESHOOTING

 For most of this post, I'm going to go through some of the basics of what I've learned throughout the months that I've been vaping. There will be various links included to other past discussions in the forum that will expand on the topics as I discuss them.
 The last part of this post will involve some tips and troubleshooting.

Words highlighted in blue are hyperlinked to other forum pages or external sources.

PART 1 - CARTOMIZER DESIGN

Anatomy of a cartomizer
Figure 1 - Parts of a cartomizer

1. Polyfill / Batting / Low density captive wadding
2. Inner Sleeve / Anti-Leak Filter / High density captive wadding
3. Center-tube / Vapor Stack / Coil Shield
4. Wick - Heating Coil & Scavenging Whiskers
5. Collar / Battery Connector / Anode Collar (with washer attached at the top)
6. Grommet / Center-post O-ring / Spindle Grommet
7. Center-post / Cathode Spindle
8. Cartomizer Casing
9. Rubber Cap
10. Plastic Cap
11. O-ring
12. Condoms / End Caps (the right one has an end cap plug inside of it)

 The above picture (Fig. 1) is a disassembled v2 cartomizer. I'm not exactly sure of what all the specific technical names of all the parts are, so I defined them by the names most commonly used by other forum members. Some of the other names I assigned for convenience, mostly based on terms I've seen used elsewhere. Some are names that you may see from similarly produced cartomizers.
 Also, the anode/cathode refers to polarity, so you could just refer to the parts as collar/spindle.
 The first thing that vapers likely already have experience with is removing the plastic or rubber cap. The following picture (Fig. 2) shows a common way many members if this forum remove the caps by using the metal handle on a common binder clip, usually sold alongside paper clips at office supply stores.

Comments

• MKvaporMKvapor Posts: 196Member
    BINDER CLIP, RUBBER CAP, PLASTIC CAP, AND O-RING
    Figure 2 - Binder Clip / Caps / O-ring

 If the carto has a plastic cap, there may be an o-ring inside the cartomizer, lying on top of the polyfill. This is put inside to help prevent nicotine liquid from leaking out of the cap when vaping. The cartomizers with a rubber cap will not contain an o-ring, and is the type of cap used on v2's blank cartomizers.

 With the outer casing removed, the inner portion of the cartomizer can be more easily viewed, as seen in figures 3a and 3b below.

Figure 3a

Figure 3b

 In Fig. 3a (1 & 2), the center-tube is shown attached to the collar of the carto, where the battery attaches when in use. The center-tube is split at the bottom, to allow the wick to access to the nicotine juice, and is attached to the collar with a sealant - making the center-tube less likely to come loose.
     Fig. 3a (3 & 4) shows the wick with the center-tube removed. The wires position can be viewed indicating the one endof the wire on between the center-post and grommet. The other end of the wire on the opposite side is between the outside of the grommet and the collar. This is to allow for the positive (center-post/spindle) and negative (collar) electrical current from the battery to feed into the high resistance wire to generate heat.
     Also seen, is a washer wrapped around the top of the collar to prevent the nicotine fluid from leaking, and seems to provide a more secure fit between the outer casing and the collar when the casing is attached.
     In Fig. 3b, the left side shows the center-post (bottom) and grommet (top) removed, the right side shows a bottom view with the grommet still inside and the center-post removed. You can also see the heating coil wire in both the center and right-hand side of the picture.

Looking at the design, the way it works is:
    1. The e-liquid is held in the polyfill, surrounded by the casing.
    2. The e-liquid is absorbed by the wick (via the scavenging wiskers)
    3. The heating coil heats the e-liquid (electrical charge from the collar and center-post (spindle) - held "separate" by the grommet.)
    4. E-liquid is vaporized and drawn into the center-tube (vapor stack) to be inhaled.

PART 2 - USING E-LIQUID

USING E-LIQUID
     This section with deal with various types of filling (and "unfilling") of E-liquid

A few things to note before starting:
    1. Take care when handling liquid nicotine. It can be absorbed through the skin, and possibly contribute to a nicotine overdose, if absorbed in sufficiently high quantities. Children and pets are particularly susceptible, if you have children or pets - keep any e-liquid in a locked box to prevent exposure. If a child, pet or anyone who was not intended to come in contact with e-liquid is exposed, seek medical assistance or contact a poison control center immediately!
    2. Always remove a cartomizer from the battery before filling or cleaning. Failure to do so can leak e-liquid/fluid into the battery, and short the battery - ruining the battery permanently.
    3. The following methods can be used on both v2 prefilled cartomizers, as well as blank cartomizers. If using a prefilled cartomizer that contains an o-ring, it can be removed and discarded. This is commonly done to make refilling more convenient, since removing and replacing it each time would add additional effort to the refilling process.
    4. Whenever cleaning, use products that are safe for consumption, for example, Vodka, Everclear, distilled water (preferred), or cold tap water - unless otherwise specified.
    5. Additional information on E-liquid can be found on the forum, most notably in this post E-liquid FAQ
    6. A prefilled or blank cartomizer will no longer be usable after repeated usage. This is usually indicated by the vapor production weakening, or by the draw on the cartomizer becoming harder. The flavor may become significantly weaker as well.
    DRIPPING

 Dripping is probably the most common method of filling a cartomizer. While various other methods may be used to fill a cart with juice, such as the condom method and using a syringe, most e-cig users will still use dripping for "topping off" a cart - which is used to keep the polyfill wet during continued use.
     To start dripping first remove the rubber or plastic cap from the carto as previously shown in Part I (Fig. 2).

Figure 4 - Dripping

 Take the carto, hold it at about a 70 degree angle, as shown in fig. 4-1, then drip into the carto along the sides while rotating the carto about a quarter turn each drop to ensure even distribution of the fluid around the polyfill (fig. 4-2). Fill the carto with about 5 or 6 drops, then wait a few minutes for the fluid to absorb into the polyfill. Repeat the process another 3 or 4 times. A typical blank carto will hold about 1 ml of fluid, or about 20 drops. It is recommended to use about 18 to 20 drops total when filling a blank for the first time. After filling, the carto should sit for at least 30 minutes to an hour (preferred), to allow the fluid to thoroughly absorb into the polyfill.
     While filling, be careful not to drip any fluid into the center-tube - too much fluid in the center-tube can make the carto difficult to vape. To prevent juice from entering the center-tube, a toothpick can be inserted into the center-tube, or the batting can be pressed down with a straw or a pair of tweezers.
     If the fluid is "pooling" at the top of the polyfill, then too much fluid has been put into the cartomizer. To remove the excess fluid - blow (in a series of short light bursts) through the mouth-end of the cartomizer to expel any excess juice. The juice will be blown out of the center-post at the collar end of the cartomizer. Clean any fluid from the threads on the collar to ensure a clean connection when re-attaching the cartomizer to the battery.
     When the e-cigarette is used, the e-liquid can be continually refilled, usually anywhere from 3 to 10 drops depending on the amount of time since the last fill. This is usually referred to as "topping off" a carto.

REVERSE DRIPPING
    Figure 5 - Reverse Dripping

 Another method that can be used, usually in conjunction with dripping, is reverse dripping. This is the process of dripping into to collar end, via the center-post/spindle to aid in saturating the wick area of the cartomizer, as shown in Fig 5.
     To help illustrate the effect of reverse dripping, Fig. 5-1 shows an open cartomizer with polyfill. In Fig. 5-2, the polyfill is wrapped around center-tube, then held together with a binder clip. Fluid is then dripped on the center-post, as seen in Fig 5-3, then flows into the cartomizer, saturating the wick and spreading to the surrounding polyfill (Fig. 5-4).
     This may be done before the process of dripping, by waiting a few seconds between drops, and using about 3 to 5 drops to ensure the area around the wick has sufficient fluid to aid in preventing burning of the polyfill that may be caused by the juice not reaching the wick area via the regular dripping process.
    THE "CONDOM METHOD"

 The condom method involves using the plastic stay-fresh caps, called condoms, that are removed from a blank or prefilled cartomizer when used for the first time. The condom is filled with e-liquid, then the collar end of the cartomizer is placed into the condom, forcing the e-liquid into the cartomizer. The method for doing this is shown below in Fig. 6.

Figure 6 - Condom Method

1. First clean out a condom to remove any dirt/debris with a cotton swab, using distilled water or Vodka/Everclear.
    2. Fill the condom with about 20 to 25 drops of e-liquid.
    3, 4 & 5. Insert the collar end of the cartomizer into the condom full of e-liquid.
    6. Push the cartomizer into the condom, forcing the e-liquid into the cartomizer. Do this slowly to avoid too much fluid from being forced into the center-tube.
     If there was enough liquid in the condom, the e-liquid might be visible in the polyfill of the carto after it's filled. If none is visibly forced to the top, you could add more using the same method with a smaller amount, though it would likely be better to simply top off any lack of additional juice using the drip method mentioned above. If juice is "pooling" at the top (mouth-end) of the carto, then the carto is filled - no further juice is required.
     After the carto is filled, remove the condom from the cartomizer. While the suction from removing the condom will aid in removing some of the excess juice, blowing into the mouth end to expel any juice out of the collar end (through the center-post/spindle) will help ensure that any of the excess juice will not interfere with vaping - whether by leaking the excess juice that remains into the battery, after being re-attached to the battery, or having a hard draw due to over-saturation of the wick area.
     If there is any room left in the carto for juice, the remaining juice in the condom can be squeezed from the condom to drip the juice into the polyfill.
     Once finished clean the collar threads with a cotton swab/cotton ball or paper towel to remove any juice that may remain - as shown in Fig. 7 below.

Figure 7 - Cleaning the collar

USING A SYRINGE

Figure 8 - Diagram and pictures of a syringe being used to fill a cartomizer.

 A syringe can be used to inject the juice directly into the polyfill. To do this, draw about 1 milliliter of fluid into the syringe, place the needle between the polyfill and the casing, then insert the needle into the batting. If using a standard syringe, the easiest way to do this is put the beveled end of the syringe to the outside of the casing, as shown in the diagram above. Push the needle down until the tip reaches the base of the cartomizer, then inject the fluid into the cartomizer to saturate the polyfill.
     If the cartomizer is overfilled, the syringe can also be used to draw any excess juice by pulling the plunger back, and using the tip of the needle near the top of the polyfill to remove the "pooled" juice. Blowing into the mouth end as mentioned previously in this post can also be used to remove any excess juice.
     Once finished with the syringe, cleaning it can be done by placing the tip of the syringe in a glass of water, and flushing water in a out of the syringe a number of times. This should flush out any juice residue.

 These are some of the most common ways that a cartomizer is filled. Though there are a variety of videos on YouTube that may provide additional tips and information. Additionally, there are new ideas that some use for filling.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

THE TARYN SPIN

 The Taryn Spin and the Reverse Taryn Spin is often used while cleaning or removing juice . To use the taryn spin, the cartomizer is attached at the end of a string vertically, then spun in a circular motion. A common method of doing this involves using a Lanyard.
     The example below (Fig. 9a) is a makeshift lanyard be made using a binder clip with a shoestring (a boot-lace, or other heavy string will make a better grip), though there are other types of makeshift lanyards that you may prefer.

Figure 9a - Binder Clip/Shoestring Lanyard

 A condom with a plug in the center is placed on the cartomizer at the collar end, then inserted into the lanyard as shown in Fig. 9b, to prevent the juice from being forced out when it is spun using the taryn spin, shown in Fig 10.

Figure 9b - Inserting and Filling a Cartomizer in a Lanyard

1. Cartomizer is inserted with "plug-end condom" on collar end of the cartomizer. The collar end with the condom attached is directed away from the "string end" of the lanyard.
    2. The rubber or plastic end cap is removed to allow for e-liquid to be dripped into polyfill.
    3. The cartomizer is secured in lanyard (for this particular type of lanyard, put the condom end in the binder clip for a more secure fit).
    4. Dripping into cartomizer with lanyard attached.

Figure 10 - The Taryn Spin

The Taryn Spin - Cart is spun in a circular motion, acting like a centrifuge - forcing the fluid deeper into the cartomizer.

THE REVERSE TARYN SPIN

 The reverse taryn spin is done using the same process as mentioned above. The difference is that the reverse taryn spin is used to remove juice, rather than add juice.
     When doing the reverse taryn spin, the non-plug condom is used to catch the juice when it is removed. The picture in Fig. 11 shows the condom pushed part way onto the mouth-end of cartomizer to allow for more room to hold the e-liquid when it is removed. In Fig. 11, the binder clip is holding the condom in place to prevent the cap from sliding off, if using anything else the cap can be held on with a rubber band or tape.

Figure 11 - Set-up for the "Reverse" Taryn Spin

PART 3 - CLEANING

 While it seems most members of the forum, myself included, don't usually clean cartomizers, this section will go through some of the basic methods - in the event that anyone may want to make use of cleaning.
    IMPORTANT:As mentioned above, only use cleaning supplies that are safe for consumption, such as Vodka, Everclear, or distilled water (with the exception of boiling). Do NOT use rubbing alcohol or any other caustic cleaners. (Simple rule - if it's not safe to drink it or breath the fumes, don't use it.)

THE REVERSE TARYN SPIN (mentioned above)

 The reverse taryn spin can be regarded as a method of cleaning. While it won't remove all the juice thoroughly, it should remove most of the remaining juice sufficiently enough to enjoy an alternate flavor in a used carto. One additional measure of cleaning using this method, is to soak the cartomizer(s) in Vodka or Everclear for about 15 minutes before spinning. You can also rinse the cartomizer with water first. This can also be used to speed up drying time, since there will likely be very little water remaining after the water is spun out. While this will remove most of the water, and may even be possible to use immediately (if spun rigorously enough), it might still be a good idea to wait a few hours to a day to ensure that the polyfill is thoroughly dry enough for use afterwards.

BOILING

To "boil-clean" cartomizers:
    1. Fill a pot with cold tap water, bring the water to a boil.
    2. Put the cartomizers into the boiling water for about 5 to 15 minutes. (Many on the forum that use boiling say 5 minutes)
    3. Remove the cartomizers from the water - a strainer can be used, and allow them to cool. (Step 2 can be repeated another 2 or 3 times, if desired)
    4. Blow out any excess water, then let dry for several days.

 While the reverse taryn spin can remove any additional water after boiling, other measures may include leaving the boiled cartomizers in an oven at about 200 degrees for 20 minutes to aid in drying. Soaking in Vodka or Everclear for about 15 minutes before boiling can also aid in cleaning.

Personal Note: I have never boiled - I'm repeating what I have read elsewhere on the forum and what I've seen in videos, etc.

ORAL SYRINGE CLEANER

 An oral syringe with a bottle adapter attached at the tip can be used for flushing out a cartomizer. The set-up for this is shown in Fig. 12

Figure 12 - Oral Syringe Carto Cleaner

The overview for its usage are:
    1. Attach the collar end of the cartomizer to the "bottle end" of the adapter. If it is too tight a fit, you can take something slightly larger than carto, and use it to stretch the end of the adapter (a Sharpie marker is a good choice)
    2. Attach the adapter to the syringe.
    3. Use the syringe to flush distilled water or Vodka/Everclear through the cartomizer.

There are too many different combinations/methods with this method to list them all, though one simple way would be to:

1. Fill the cartomizer with Vodka - let soak for 15+ minutes.
    2. Put the collar end of the cartomizer into the adapter, then attach the adapter to the syringe.
    3. Fill a small bowl with distilled water or cold tap water.
    4. Place the end of the cartomizer into the bowl of water, pull on the plunger to draw water into the syringe through the attached cartomizer (see above illustration).
    5. Once the oral syringe is filled, remove the syringe from the water and push on the plunger to flush the water back out into a separate container or a sink (Repeat "draw and flush" as many times as you like).
    6. Blow the excess water out by blowing through the mouth end of the cartomizer, or do a reverse taryn spin.
    7. Allow 24 hours or more for drying.

 If you don't have any Vodka/Everclear, or just want to do something even simpler, you could just attach the set-up as shown above - Put the tip of the cartomizer in a cup of distilled water, and flush the water in and out of the syringe. Then use step #5 mentioned above for finishing. You could also do this with Vodka/Everclear instead of water.
     A more detailed explanation of this can be found on the forum at this post: V2's juice is here...learn how to clean your cartomizer's without boiling!
    CLEANING THE BATTERY

 The battery can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol. The tools most commonly used are:
    1. A toothbrush - good for cleaning the threads and interior portion of the battery connector.
    2. A needle for cleaning the air holes (a toothpick can be forced in, if a needle can't be found)
    3. Another product that can be used is called a Wisp, which is usually sold in the same places toothbrushes are sold (look in the floss area).

The picture below shows some tools for cleaning
    Figure 13 - Top to Bottom - Wisp, Toothbrush and needle.

Figure 14 - Cleaning the battery

To clean with a toothbrush.
    First moisten the end of the toothbrush with rubbing alcohol.
    IMPORTANT: Try to prevent any liquid (including rubbing alcohol) from entering the hole that leads inside the battery. Failure to do so can short the battery - damaging it permanently, and rendering the battery inoperable.
    1. To clean out the holes in the threads of the battery - Use a needle or Wisp end to dislodge the sediment.
    2. Scrub the brush along the threads to clean the outer portion of the battery.

-To clean inside portion of the battery
    3. Place the toothbrush on a flat surface, with the bristles facing up, push the battery into the toothbrush bristles, and rotate the battery in a circular motion to break up the sediment. (An alternate view is shown in Fig. 14-5)
    4. If you have the Wisp, the pointed end can be used to break up any sediment that may be particularly difficult to remove from the area between the center-post of the battery and the threads.

 If you want to remove any rubbing alcohol, you can use a cotton ball, paper towel, a small piece of toilet paper, or paper towel. (This can be rolled into a point for a more thorough cleaning)

PART 4 - ACCESSORIES

v2 BATTERY ADAPTER

 v2 sells battery adapters that can be used to fit other brands of batteries to v2's cartomizers. There are two versions available, the type I and type II adapter. The picture below (Fig. 15) shows type II adapter being used on a competitor's battery.

Figure 15 - v2 Battery Adapter

 Pretty self-explanatory - The adapter allows for v2 cartomizers to be used on a battery that has a different connection. Just make sure that the air hole (shown in the bottom left hand corner in Fig. 15) in the threaded portion of the adapter is on the outside of the battery, to allow for proper air flow.
     The specific brands that are compatible can be found here:
    v2 Battery Adapters

DRIP TIPS

 Drip tips are used to replace the plastic or rubber cap. Drip tips are easier to remove than the plastic or rubber caps that normally come with prefilled or blank cartomizers. The drip tips are just for replacing the caps with something more convenient to remove, then refill as you would normally.

Drip Tips

 Drip tips are sold on the v2 website here: Aluminum Drip Tips and Rubber Drip Tips

PART 5 - TIPS & TROUBLESHOOTING

Tip - Preventing premature burn

 If an e-cigarette is vaped in rapid succession, referred to as "Chain Vaping", the heating coil can burn the polyfill prematurely. To help prevent this from occurring, take a 30 second break between puffs. This is especially true when a carto is put on a recently charged battery. A freshly charged battery has a full charge, and will burn hotter than a battery that has been depleted of some of it's charge through normal use.

"The cartomizer is producing little or no vapor"

 While there may be a variety of problems that can cause this, including the possibility of a faulty cartomizer, or an undercharged battery. A common reason for this is that the center-post is not making a proper connection to the battery. To solve this problem, a paper clip or the "arm" of a small size binder clip can be used to adjust the center-post by lifting it out slightly to help make better contact. Fig. 16 below shows how this can be done.

Figure 16 - Adjusting the cartomizer

 When doing any of these adjustments, be careful to avoid pulling the center-post or grommet out of the cartomizer.

Figure 16
    1. Tools to adjust the center-post
    2. If using a clip arm (Fig. 16-2), put the clip arm into the hole of the center-post and rock the center-post to one side to pry it up slightly. Move the clip arm inside the hole to the opposite side and repeat to even the level that the center-post is raised. Once finished, adjust the center-post to center it inside the collar area. Screw the cartomizer back onto the battery.
    3. If using a paper clip (left side, bottom), put the paper clip between the collar and the center-post. Try to pry it up slightly, move the paper clip to the opposite side, and pry that side up as well - this will help make the center-post even. Be careful not to pull the center-post out of the grommet - it usually only needs to be raised a little bit to make proper contact. Once finished, adjust the center-post to center it inside the collar area. Screw the cartomizer back onto the battery.
    4. A toothpick is used in a way similar to the binder clip mentioned above, though it is less effective.

 If this doesn't work, then it could also be a dirty or undercharged battery. Cleaning the threads of the battery with rubbing alcohol and making sure that the air holes are clear with a toothbrush or a small needle will also aid in keeping a good connection between the cartomizer and the battery (above Fig. 14). Just make sure to avoid getting any alcohol into the hole of an automatic battery.

"Burnt Taste"

 When vapor production and/or taste starts to diminish, the carto is likely close to being empty. If you taste a "burnt" or "plastic-like" taste the cartomizer is ruined. It should not be refilled, and should be discarded. Not only will refilling likely produce the same burnt taste, the burned polyfill that is responsible for the taste is unhealthy to vape. The same burnt taste will also likely be present if any attempt is made to reuse the juice from the burnt cartomizer (using the reverse taryn spin)

Tip

 If you have juice, remember to "top off" frequently. About 5 to 6 drops every so often. Since everyone's usage varies, you'll likely have to learn how often this needs done through trial and error. Another option is to keep more than one cartomizer for vaping, and rotating them periodically to allow the fluid in the cartomizer that is not in use to spread to the wick area that may be somewhat dried from a lot of vaping. Most vapers that switch between flavors often likely avoid this problem, due to the process of switching flavors means switching cartos.

A personal observation: A "light" taryn spin (Fig.10) can be done after refills to help ensure that the fluid is distributed to the wick area of the polyfill - this may be especially useful if you think that its been a while since the last refill/top-off (see Fig. 17 - I try to do this when switching batteries, when they're most susceptible to burning - at the very least).

Figure 17 - Cartomizer cut-out with possible dry spot.
    Alternative for the taryn spin

 Another way recently mentioned on the forum to aid in forcing the fluid deeper into the cartomizer - is to shake the cartomizer - similar to shaking a thermometer. One possible way to do this would be to take the cartomizer, and strike the collar end (with a condom on the collar end) against your palm. (You could think of this as similar to the way many smokers strike a pack of cigarettes against the palm of their hands to "pack" a pack of cigarettes.)

Steeping

 "Steeping" juices is when a juice bottle is opened, and left with the cap off or left loose for a period of time. This is done to change the juice flavor. Usually it is done by:

1. Removing the cap completely or leaving the cap loosened, and leaving the juice to sit unopened in a cool, dark place (closet or other enclosed area) for a period of 24 hours to 2 weeks.
    2. Using a "quick-steeping" method. The steps involved for this are:

1. Fill a small pot or pan of water.
    2. Make sure the level of the water in the pot is level with the fluid in the bottle.
    3. Bring the water to a boil.
    4. After the water has reached boiling, remove the pot from the stove.
    5. Loosen or remove the cap on the bottle of e-liquid.
    6. Immerse the bottle of e-liquid in the water, and allow the e-liquid to sit in the pot until the water has reached room temperature. (45 minutes to 1 hour)

 Some say this can sometimes benefit the flavoring, though may also make the flavoring worse, depending on the juice. If there is a flavor that seems bad or simply not to your preference, steeping might be able to salvage an undesirable batch of e-liquid.

Storage

 If you have children or pets, e-liquid should be stored in a locked box to prevent accidental exposure. If a child, pet or anyone who was not intended to come in contact with e-liquid is exposed, seek medical assistance or contact a poison control center immediately!
     Ideally, most e-liquid or cartomizers should be kept in a place that is dark, cool, and dry. A closet or similar place would be fine. For short term storage (1 or 3 months), little or no special measures will likely be necessary. If long term storage is desired, the following methods can be used:

 Cartomizers can be stored in a plastic zip-lock style bag, or other air-tight containers to help preserve freshness. Some e-cig users may also refrigerate them, especially if they live in an unusually hot environment (heat can degrade the quality over time). If refrigerated, be sure to allow adequate time for the cartomizer to warm before using (probably an hour or more).
     Due to propylene glycol being a humectant, meaning that it attracts moisture ("A humectant is a substance with the ability to attract and hold water in a formulation"), cartomizers can be stored with rice inside the container - the rice will absorb any excess moisture. This is good if living in a humid environment.
    "They aren't "drying out" they are actually attracting water, which decreases cart performance. You may be able to revive a cart left out by placing it in a bag of rice or something that will suck out all of the water in the cart.
    PG attracts moisture. Moisture in a cart is bad."(Marni)

Note: Rice can also be used if the battery, or any other electronics (cell phones, etc.) get wet.
     Since the humectant properties of propylene glycol attracts moisture, this can dehydrate you when vaping. To mitigate this effect - be sure to drink plenty of water. How much more water you will need to drink will likely depend on how much you vape. You can also use mints, or other candies to keep your mouth hydrated. Other symptoms associated with starting e-cigs/quitting smoking can be found here:Symptoms you may experience when you start using electronic cigarettes

Tip: While you may keep an additional water around to drink, if you notice that you're not keeping up with your water intake as much as you think you should, and you like to drink a lot of coffee or tea - Try to drink at least a half a cup of water (preferably more) from the cup you drink coffee/tea from. This can be done between refills, perhaps when cleaning out the cup you're using.

If fluid gets in the battery

 While it's unlikely that a battery that has fluid in it will be usable. One possible option is to do a "reverse taryn spin" on the battery to remove the liquid from it. Attach the battery to a lanyard, and try to spin the liquid out of the "center-post" portion of the battery. Put a non-plug condom on the end to see if any fluid is removed, as well as preventing the fluid from causing a mess.

Resetting the automatic battery

 If the automatic battery seems to be working inconsistently, a reset can be done holding the threaded end of the battery about an inch away from your mouth and blowing into the hole (where the cartomizer attaches) 5 times. This is done with the cartomizer removed from the battery. Do not blow into the e-cigarette with the cartomizer attached, or it could blow fluid into the battery components, and short out the battery.
  • mrtmrt Posts: 5,395Member ✭✭✭
    Very nice, well done @MKvapor
  • emelesteemeleste Posts: 5,294V2 Veteran ✭✭
    Wow!  This ought to be stickied!! 
    Thanks, I finally got back here. Kept getting a bad gateway message.
  • emelesteemeleste Posts: 5,294V2 Veteran ✭✭
    Me too!  The forum has been really screwy lately!!

@MKvapor  check this out

Want to work for V2? Writers wanted!

marni_V2cigsmarni_V2cigs in I Love My V2! FlagMember, Administrator, Moderator

We are looking for some good writers who are knowledgeable about V2 and the vaping world in general to produce original how-to articles about e-cigs, e-liquid and general usage tips.

Some examples:

• How to clean your batteries
    • Top 10 (5,15) things you should know before you buy an e-cig
    • Best ways to fill your cartridges with e-liquid
    • How to store your cartridges
    • What is the different between manual and automatic
    • Shorty? Standard? XL? Which e-cig best fits your lifestyle
    • The Taryn Spin explained

Article writers will earn $.50 per word or a flat fee of $100-$300 for each article, which will be paid in account credits. Fee will be dependent on quality of work, usability and professional history.

Criteria:

1. Submit an article idea to: marketing@v2cigs.com

2. Once your idea is approved, write your article

3. Incorporate V2 Cigs products or website into the article

4. Include photos where you can. Each original photo is counted as 2 words

5. Must be original content. Content that is copied is immediately rejected

6. Must be NON-PUBLISHED on web.

6. Submit article and wait for review (up to a week)

7. Article will be approved or sent back for edits

8. Credits issued!

We reserve the right to reject articles based on factual basis, quality and originality. This is a great way to earn V2 stuff and help out others with your knowledge!

Also: Bloggers wanted! Send me an inquiry if you have a blog.
  • MuldemarMuldemar Posts: 500Member
    Wonderful post MKvapor!! TY for all the time you spent putting this together!!
    I saw that before. I was working on this a little at a time for the past few months, so I didn't have that in mind when I wrote it. I just hope it helps people new to vaping.
  • KellyDKellyD Posts: 135Member
    Wow, this is absolutely wonderful!!! Wish this was here when I started a month ago, I had to search for each little thing! Again this is awesome! You should enter this in the writing thing!
  • kstraub7707kstraub7707 Posts: 1,891V2 Veteran
    What a Great thread!  wtg @MKvapor!
  • lakelandjimlakelandjim Posts: 250Member
    Really outstanding @MKvapor. Thank you.
  • jodyjody Posts: 52Member
    Thank you MKvapor.  Excellent post, very informative, easy to understand.  I like pictures with instructions! =D>
  • JackieOJackieO Posts: 10,248Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012

W O W !

That is really fabulous - great work MK!
  • JTHOLDMJTHOLDM Posts: 8,899Member
    MK terrific post it is so nice to see this information in one place wow good for u =D> Really wow This so good for everyone coming in as this is invaluable information
  • hoosierhoosier Posts: 3,358V2 Veteran
    Ecxellent post MK!!!
  • devanttriodevanttrio Posts: 1,689Member
    edited March 2012
    Awesome post! Very informative and simple to understand with pictures as well as the description. This should be stickied!!

@mrt right before I posted I didn't see a big announcement banner. My apologies!
    I so agree with Devan ir should be a staple here
    If you look closely, it has been (stickied)
  • BassManStanBassManStan Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    MK- Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • DebiDebi Posts: 487Member ✭✭
    OMG WHAT A GREAT JOB!! Youre awesome :)
  • cricketinecricketine Posts: 366Member
    I have a question... Recently I've notice that the vapor does not get warm/hot like it used to. Draw is good, as is the amout of vapor. I noticed it first with my auto batteries, then my manuals and kind of with my pass through.
    I do top off once a day and rotate batts with different juices (I like variety).
    Is there something I'm not doing right or could there be a proem with my equipment care?
  • Ruger045Ruger045 Posts: 764Member
    Agree on it should be STICKY-ED. Very nice.
    This is a  Must thread 

If you guys would just look, it HAS been stickied on the board, it is in the "Announcements" group.

It started life as a discussion and got moved to "Announcements" almost immediatly.

The "Announcements Group" where the hell is that? A sticky stays on top of a discussion or category where it's easy to find. Where is this announcements group? I bookmarked it, as far as I know that's all I can do to make it easier to find for reference.
    HMMMMMM
    edited March 2012

Click on "discussions".

V2 Forum

Bookmark

Options

Dismiss
    Bookmark

Announcement 775 comments Most recent by ono March 20I Love My V2!

Options

Dismiss
    Bookmark

Options
    I had to leave off the last 5 Anouncement items, the post was too long.
    Ok, got it, thanks for the heads up. Now who is the one in charge of determining it to be "Announcement"? Does V2 do that?
    I presume so, I know that I had nothing to do with it.
    I think Marni determines what gets made into an announcement. I contacted her beforehand to see if this was appropriate to put on the forum.
    IMHO very appropriate
    @cricketine

What do mean by "vapor does not get warm/hot"?
  • JmanJman Posts: 3,050Member
    Best thread ever!
    Yes, indeed, very appropriate. I'm surprised she didn't hire you on the spot for doing all their written work. :)
    =D> RUGER
  • PhilnetPPhilnetP Posts: 128Member
    Thanks so much for all your hard work, I've passed this on to sister and daughter. It can be confusing when one doesn't have the time to scour the Internet and research. For instance my daughter is the yougest PhD in chemistry out of the University of Illinois. I spent part of evening demonstrating the tricks of the trade and she this evening with even more questions. Well done.
  • GooseGoose Posts: 1,765Member
    very nice work indeed.  and very professional.
    =D>
    I just saved it to my favorites bar Now I have it for life TY MK
  • wmike145wmike145 Posts: 422Member
    Thank you very very much @MKvapor for putting all of this fantastic info in one place, writing it very well in easy to understand terms, and including images. I wish I had this available when I first joined!! What a great reference piece and somewhere to direct new people too as well. Instant bookmark!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>