18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

How many "puffs" is considered "normal" for vaping??

smith_msmith_m Posts: 220Member
edited April 2012 in The World of E-Cigarettes
With analogs I usually took about 9 or 10 drags before tossing it. With vaping I honestly dunno how many puffs I take....my hubby says I vape too much and need to slow down. I usually take a long drag then put it down for a few min. If I had to guess I usually take like 10 drags within an hour. Is this considered "alot"? I go through 1 1/2 carts a day..sometimes more. I'm just wondering if I'm vaping more than I smoked?

Comments

• Rule62Rule62 Posts: 3,266V2 Veteran ✭✭✭
    Most people vape more than they smoked. Not unusual at all. Some of us vape almost constantly, when just sitting around. There's not a beginning and end, like there is with a cigarette, where you light it, and smoke it until it's done. Some folks use very low, or zero nicotine juice, and alternate with nicotine.
  • smith_msmith_m Posts: 220Member
    That's what I thought. I just wanna throw it in my hubby's face and say it's normal honey!! Lol I vape the 18 mg now. I'm content with it. Get the occasional sore throat, but other than that I'm great. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only person who vaped more than I smoked;-)
  • Rule62Rule62 Posts: 3,266V2 Veteran ✭✭✭
    You might want to get some zero or 6mg juice or cartos to alternate with your 18mg.
    Hum..something to think about....
  • EarthpigEarthpig Posts: 4,754V2 Veteran
    Without realizing it or having an automatic shut off like the speed bumps(as I've heard em called) or the thing running down to the butt on cigs, vapers have a tendency of not knowing when to quit.
    It's part of the reason many complain the carto's don't last as long as a pack of cigs. Properly filled they come very close.
    I certainly don't think 1.5 carts a day is excessive unless you smoked very little to begin with, like less than 10 to 15 cigs a day.

• happy_vapeyhappy_vapey Posts: 918Member
    with analogs i took about 20 puffs!!  American spirits man!!  I probably take 60 puffs of an ecig an hour though!
  • crazymaccrazymac Posts: 411Member
    being bored 60+ per hour  keeping busy whenever i can. normal smoke break about 5- 15 depends on mood  
    I smoked a pack n a half a day of analogs. So I was a heavy smoker.
  • KillConfirmedKillConfirmed Posts: 622Member
    normal is relative.
  • D_CD_C Posts: 25Member
    normal is relative.
    you have normal relatives?  ;)
  • MuldemarMuldemar Posts: 500Member
    Abnormal..Is when you have to turn the fan on..to see the TV, through the vapor :D
  • prioritiespriorities Posts: 148Member
    normal is relative.
    I have to agree with that one ! :) ha..you guys are all too funny sometimes. ha..turn the fan on:( !    .I guess you ARE..vaping more..I know I still am  after 3 months...in fact a vape alot more than I ''smoked'...that is why I am now going down in nicotine levels...that is something to think about for you..good luck :) take care all....Lee
  • prioritiespriorities Posts: 148Member
    Just what IS normal' anyway...now that's another thread to start! :)
  • MuldemarMuldemar Posts: 500Member
    Normal= what ever gets you through the day..with a smile on your face ;)
  • Mark_NHMark_NH Posts: 131Member
    For me smoking an analog was light it ...smoke for 3-4 minutes until done . The amount of drags per smoke was a variable. 1 to 1 1/2 packs a day .

My first week of ecigs was a cart a day , my second week slightly more .  This past week I have noticed something I did not realize in week 2 .

What I have noticed is that I vape much different than I had smoked .   It is not always set blocks of vape time estimating 3-4 minutes like analogs  .   It is single vape or 2 here and there ... or a really big hit walking through the shop in work , and even the occasional 4 minute vape [analog similarity ] .       The nicotine intake now appears to be more controlled without the roller coaster effect of analogs .   I do not have any cravings at all for a cigarette , because I can take a single vape whenever I want one , or two   .

Normal .. who knows ..but I can definitely say its different .

• lynnlynn Posts: 155Member
    Your body will tell you when>
  • DewManDewMan Posts: 1,208Member
    10 puffs in an hour? I'd call that lightwieght. :D
  • BATMANBATMAN Posts: 167Member
    I got sore throats when I vaped at 18mg to 24mg at first. Now I vape 12mg and have't had a sore throat since vaping at this level. I puff more when I'm sitting around the house then when I'm on the go.
  • JmanJman Posts: 3,050Member
    10 puffs an hour would mean, to me, that I wasn't able to use my eCig for 52 of those minutes. 
  • gofoxgofox Posts: 1Member
    I am sitting at home this week not going to work because I have pneumonia.  I was only 3 months into vaping and doing it way too often.  I love vaping and it has really helped me to almost quit smoking {2 analogs per day now and not 1 pack per day}.  When the illness hit and I was coughing, the 1st thing I thought was the e cig was causing this and I slowed down my vaping.  It was three days of misery before I found out I had pneumonia for sure.  My doc said it could very well be the e cig so I did a little research on the net and found others who are vaping and getting a dose of pneumonia.  Don't know for sure what is actually the cause but all must be very cautious.  I will probably continue to vape but it will be very limited on the intake now.
  • ricci2424ricci2424 Posts: 71Member
    I vape like a raped ape:(|)! haha I cant put these down! way too many great flavors out there. :x 
  • lilly53lilly53 Posts: 1Member
    I timed myself smoking a real cig and it took 5 minutes so I vape for 5 minutes.
  • kdoddskdodds Posts: 2,571Member ✭✭
    If you're going to alternate (I do), I would say go more with 12/6s and 6/0s.  Otherwise, you'll drag on the lower ones and compare them to the 18s and wonder where the vape/hit is.  But, honestly, a cart and a half a day is nothing.
  • SunShineSunShine Posts: 389Member ✭✭
    @smith_m "I'm just wondering if I'm vaping more than I smoked?" I also wonder about this. I smoked about 25 cigs a day of full flavor 100's analogs before I started vaping. When I am out of e-liquid, I vape 5 prefilled 18mg carts a day. I wonder what the equivalent would be in analogs. I do know the absorption rate of nicotine is supposed to be slower/lower vaping versus smoking...
  • julopyjulopy Posts: 2Member
    Don't try to emulate a cigarette, it's a different technique with vaping. To get the most of it you must take slow 5-7 second long drags. It's not the same as smoking, IT"S WAAAY BETTER :)

consider that regular cigarettes contain chemicals that allow fast absorption. vapor doesn't, so it takes longer to absorb.

• CynsonyaCynsonya Posts: 5,804Member
    Welcome to the forum @julopy!
  • MikeVMikeV Posts: 511Member
    Vape as much as you feel comfortable with.  I'll take 2 - 3 drags a minute, put it down for a while, take a few more drags within 1 - 2 minutes, etc.  Sometimes I won't vape for an hour... other times, sitting at my desk, I'll vape every couple minutes for an hour.  

To each their own.  Ya?
  • EarthpigEarthpig Posts: 4,754V2 Veteran
    Absorption rate is slower but once it hits the bloodstream it's nearly the same (and there has been a lot of debate on that).'
    With a cig, you generally get 15 to 20 puffs if you are on it and 10 to 15 if you slow dow.. unless you are one of those who light them and sit em in an ashtray.

If you use the same rule of thumb when vaping , and count your puffs, it should balance out. After awhile you just fall into a habit of it and don't count anymore..

Next is getting the nicotine level to match your cig.

• JFactorJFactor Posts: 1Member
    I typically get 17 to 20 puffs off a regular cig (shorts, not 100s).  I've been counting my puffs on the ecig and puffing the same as a regular cigarette.  V2 claims you can get up to 400 puffs on one cart based on 20 drags on a regular cig.  Out of the 7 carts I've used so far the range has been from the 50s to a max of 130 .  The flavor and nicotine are excellent but the duration is very disappointing, If I was only getting 250 to 300 puffs per cart I'd be fine with that but alas this is not the case.
  • Badkarma0007Badkarma0007 Posts: 9Member

Hello all :)

I saw a post from someone on here with regards to a "battery that gives you a notification (emits light vibration, something) when you have smoked the equivalent of one analog cigarette (15 puffs, etc.)."

Interestingly enough and as much as I love e-cigs and V2, I have found that my dependency on this product is more than it ever was with an analog cig. I think these things are dangerously more addictive than traditional smokes...

"vaping" is much more easier than smoking and please don't get me wrong, I would rather vape than switch back to analog smokes but I think i'm starting to worry about my nicotine instake... anyone else feel the same or just i'm crazy?

• c1toborc1tobor Posts: 96Member

Vaping and smoking is like comparing apples to oranges.  How much nicotine you are absorbing is the real question.

I do believe one should be concerned about how much "more" or "less" nicotine you are ingesting, but even if it is more....I would still think it is better than actual smoke.  I have no "science" to back me up.

• Badkarma0007Badkarma0007 Posts: 9Member

you're all right i'm sure it just feels wierd because I equate vaping and smoking very much alike and i'm vaping like a madman....so hence it make me think i'm smoking way too much. hope that kind of makes sense...

• APKhaosAPKhaos Posts: 152Member ✭✭
    @Badkarma0007...I thought the same thing. I was cruising through 25ml/week of 12mg and felt that was a lot. Turns out that its not, based on what several long-time vapers reported. Figure out how many ml you are going though per week as a first step. 

I started with 50ml of 18mg, then got another 50ml of 12mg. The change to 12ml was easy, and is a significant reduction in nic intake. Might step it down to 9mg soon [mix 1:1 of 12 and 6]. So, think about dropping the nic strength as the next step. Give it a try at least. 
  • dumbasseddumbassed Posts: 1Member
    I think the biggest thing about vaping is you smoke a lot more because u can do it anywhere! Instead of just going outside taking a bogie or 2 and then going back inside to do what ever. When u vape you can be anywhere and there's no restriction. For me I was exited about this fact so I would do it in class. Restaurants and work and basically anywhere and no one can say u can't . Just something for u guys to realize. So if you could analog smoke everywhere your pack would prolly run the same as your ecig