18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Bleeding gums

BassManStanBassManStan Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in New Members Start Here
Hi all. Tomorrow makes 7 weeks since I've had an analog, yay me!

For the last week or so I've been having trouble with tender gums that bleed when I brush my teeth. Not sure if it is caused by vaping, but has this occurred with anyone else?

Comments

• DaddyCatDaddyCat Posts: 6,786Member ✭✭✭✭

I have not Stan, is it possible you have a new harder bristle toothbrush or you're just brushing harder than you used to?

http://blog.v2cigs.com/2012/01/symptoms-you-may-experience-when-you-start-using-electronic-cigarettes/

• BrealuBrealu Posts: 86Member
    Only with vapes that contain cinnamon. I would advise to steer clear of them. Cinnamon containing liquids have had the same effect as phenol in carmex and other chapstiks. It helps to slough off dead,dry skin.
    Do you think that is a possibility?
  • LeapingFrogsLeapingFrogs Posts: 393Member
    edited April 2012

I understand that it is a fairly common symptom of withdrawl from tobacco... many people develop mouth sores as the damaged tissues in your mouth slough off and are replaced by fresh new undamaged tissues. Of course flavors like cinnamon and possibly menthol may make it worse. I have a liquid here that has a small amount of cinnamon in it... I'm pretty sure I don't like it, it hurts the inside of my mouth--I"m going to let it steep for a week or more and try it again though... maybe the cinnamon mellows out? We'll see.  

• BrealuBrealu Posts: 86Member
    My one cinnamon containing e-liquid won't go to waste but I won't use it for more that 3-5 vapes and then it is on to something else.
  • BassManStanBassManStan Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    Actually no new toothbrush or cinnamon. Maybe @leapingfrogs is right. Maybe just withdrawal.
  • emelesteemeleste Posts: 5,294V2 Veteran ✭✭
    I vape menthol...and when I quit smoking I got a mouth/gum sore a couple of weeks afterwards.  It went away fairly quickly and I've not had any trouble since.  
  • JmanJman Posts: 3,050Member
    Thanks for the heads up on cinnamon vapes, you all. 

No bleeding gums yet that I can attribute to vaping. 
  • BobsterBobster Posts: 47Member
    @bassmanstan sent you a PM
  • dwrinehadwrineha Posts: 85Member
    i had bloody gums also and understand it was part of the process with the gums healing, ec...my dentist was like wow you've got a lot of blood around your gums and when i read about it online i told her and she gave me an antibiotic just incase which i never took and they are fine now, i think its the extra oxygen to the gum line that increases bloodflow and can stir things up a bit at first...i had smoker's breathe for awhile also which i've read is normal with the lungs clearing out...sometimes i think we mistake syptoms of adjustment as health problems but can never be too cautious!
  • BassManStanBassManStan Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    So apparently it's not the vaping so much as the healing process? Think I can live with that for awhile. Thanks guys.
  • IrisheyzsIrisheyzs Posts: 243Member
    That happened to me at about the same time as you.  Scared the crap out of me because my gums would never bleed.  It lasted about two weeks and now all is good.  It is a symptom of withdrawal.  Hang in there!
  • laurellaurel Posts: 124Member
    As a retired RN, I would say don't look for a zebra when it is likely a horse.  Smokers get gum disease much more frequently than non smokers.  It is likely a coincidence that you started having bleeding gums when you started vaping and stopped smoking.  The tartar buildup increases exponentially when you smoke and things can seem fine and then all of sudden you have a problem surface. Also, often people who vape start taking more pride in their teeth as
    they don't have all that tartar staining them with each cigarette, and
    start brushing more often to brighten them back up--this can cause
    irritation and gum bleeding. Use a soft tooth brush until things improve and gargle with Amosan mouthwash until things improve.  Keep your mouth very clean with frequent gargling and make sure you see your dentist. 
  • becca58becca58 Posts: 47Member
    Stan, I'm right at that marker myself, but haven't had that happen yet. I think Laurel made some very insightful points though. (Thanks Laurel!)
  • GenbotoGenboto Posts: 46Member
    Thought it was just me.  Right around day 35 or so started to see blood when I brushed my teeth.  Now at day 50 and there is still some blood but not as much.  Thanks for the insight @laurel.  I'll make an appointment next week with my dentist.
  • uardsuards Posts: 23Member
    I feel certain it has to do with reoxygenation.  I go to the dentist every 3 months (many problems from smoking) and they always comment about how my gums don't bleed although I have serious periodontal disease.,  My hygienist said she suspects it is from the smoking etc.  Now that I am almost 6 weeks off the butts, my gums are bleeding.  I would say there is a 100% correlation.
  • laurellaurel Posts: 124Member
    I think all we can say at this point since long term effects of propylene glycol are unknown is that if we get any untoward side effects after starting e cigarettes we should see our family doctor if the symptoms don't subside within a week or so. (Immediately if there are any symptoms of tight chest or shortness of breath).  We do know that for some people PG causes unpleasant side effects, and there are reports that for some PG is a skin irritant.  For me PG causes bloating and stomach ache so I have switched to high percentage VG. But we can't discount increased nicotine being a culprit either as it seems many of us vape far more than we ever smoked.  We are on a learning curve.
  • McCainMcCain Posts: 2Member
    @laurel excellent observation
  • Mark_NHMark_NH Posts: 131Member

I had a bit of bleeding the first 2 weeks of no analogs .

One morning was a bit shocking as I had not been aware of this part of the healing process and spit out quite a bit .

Tomorrow is my 3week mark and happily I dont get the metalic taste anymore [ which I was getting in the mornings waking up ]   and the gum bleed is almost non existent now .

Mark

I think all we can say at this point since long term effects of propylene glycol are unknown is that if we get any untoward side effects after starting e cigarettes we should see our family doctor if the symptoms don't subside within a week or so. (Immediately if there are any symptoms of tight chest or shortness of breath).  We do know that for some people PG causes unpleasant side effects, and there are reports that for some PG is a skin irritant.  For me PG causes bloating and stomach ache so I have switched to high percentage VG. But we can't discount increased nicotine being a culprit either as it seems many of us vape far more than we ever smoked.  We are on a learning curve.
    Last week, I started experiecing shortness of breath and it kind of freaked me out. I immediately went from my 50PG/50VG mix back to a 70PG/30VG mix. The shortness of breath went away in less than an hour. To make sure it wasn't a coincidence, yesterday I went back to the 50/50 and had the same problem, today, back to the higher PG, no problem. I'll try one more test to see if my suspicion is correct... but I think high VG gives me the shortness of breath issues. It's crazy how different everyone can be.
  • Sally53Sally53 Posts: 1,074Member
    I had sore teeth and gums when I started, then it went away.  Then it came back last week, but no bleeding.  So I went to the dentist and it turned out to be food traps and partials are good for that. So more salt water rinses and dental floss took care of the problem. Plus he told me to brush up and down, not sideways, so as to not push the gums up farther then they should be and that helped. The metal taste, which is one of the main reasons I went to ecigs is gone.  Lunesta at night and 2 packs of analogs daily, never had clean fresh breath....now Lunesta is gone and most of the cigs, not all of them and mouth is much better.  What I noticed, was vaping and my partials, took some time to get used to that taste, no clue what that was, except maybe for healing gums like the others.  Good Luck, hope your problem resolves itself soon....
  • PhalenePhalene Posts: 57Member
    I have not experienced bleeding gums from quitting however I did experience it a couple of years ago when I developed mild gum disease. I started flossing daily and switched to a soft toothbrush and it went away.
  • smith_msmith_m Posts: 220Member
    Wow glad I found this. I unfortunately have horrendous teeth. Part is hereditary and the other caused by smoking :-( . My teeth are starting to get brighter, but I've noticed that my gums were much more sensitive. I havnt changed my brushing or flossing habits so it probably just the change to vaping. Still no improvement in my actual teeth, but the staining is going away.
  • chefsbosschefsboss Posts: 20Member

Yeah. very good comments above. I'm not sure I buy the whole "healing process" thing. people who quit smoking without vaping  don't seem to have issues as frequently.

I think it's a bit of both. your mouth is used to the smoke and tar and reacts in such a way, and when it's gone and replaced by delicous, satisfying vapor,.. I don't know... Although it's possibly gross and not the best analogy.. I'm comparing smoking a brisket, vs. steaming one. Dig?

• KillConfirmedKillConfirmed Posts: 622Member
    @leapingfrogs ..... yeah ppl can different. im in the same boat as laurel.
  • Starchief13Starchief13 Posts: 14Member
    When my teeth get sore I just take them out. :). Being a geezer ain't all bad !!

Yeah. very good comments above. I'm not sure I buy the whole "healing process" thing. people who quit smoking without vaping  don't seem to have issues as frequently.

I think it's a bit of both. your mouth is used to the smoke and tar and reacts in such a way, and when it's gone and replaced by delicous, satisfying vapor,.. I don't know... Although it's possibly gross and not the best analogy.. I'm comparing smoking a brisket, vs. steaming one. Dig?

Actually, a friend of mine who's a dentist mentioned that bleeding gums, or more commonly mouth sores, around 4-9 weeks of being tobacco-free is pretty common. Of course, consulting with your own dentist may shed some light on the subject as well.
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 55Member
    When my teeth get sore I just take them out. :). Being a geezer ain't all bad !!
    That is awesome!  :))
  • lynnlynn Posts: 155Member
    Thank heavens I never had all these problems when I smoked cigarettes. It is amazing they all started when people gave then up.
  • WolfjaeckleWolfjaeckle Posts: 63Member ✭✭
    edited April 2012

@ starchief13

I've done that too =))