18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Resistances and voltage

AnxelAnxel Posts: 13Member
edited June 2012 in Vaping Central
I'm going to grab an eGo Twist, but I need to snag some tanks first. I need to know what resistance would be best for the battery. Tips? Advice?

Comments

• dBdB Posts: 731Member
    edited June 2012

Hi @Anxel, Welcome to VV vaping…you’ll love it.  I’d recommend a single-coil system in the 2.8
    to 3 ohm range.

Tips/Advise…You probably already know this, but the whole point of VV vaping is we can dial in exactly the right voltage to achieve just the right wattage at the coils given the resistance of the atty/carto/tank setup we are using and the juice we are vaping.  Found my “sweet-spot” wattage changes depending on atty/carto/tank setup I’m using and the juice I vaping, so there really isn’t one single best answer, and it’s completely subject to your personal taste.  Many expert vapers like vaping at 6.2 to 6.5 watts, but I’ve found some tobacco juices that vape great at ever higher wattages.  Here’s the ohm’s law calculator I use, but there are others.

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php

One thing to keep in mind though is your mod’s high-amp safety cut-off.  Been looking, but haven’t found the high-amp safety cut-off spec for that eGo Twist, but assuming its 2.5 amps (seems the norm for gen-1 tube mods).  The twist is designed for use with the eGo-C atty/tank combo and the ones I have meter right at 2.2 ohms.   To be safe though, I would avoid low-ohm dual-coils all together on that mod.  They may work at very low voltage, but it might clip out at anything above 3.7 volts and the effective wattage at each coil would only be around 4.5 watts (9 watts shared between both coils) and that’s way too low anyway IMO

Good luck and happy vaping!

• dac311dac311 Posts: 414Member ✭✭
    To figure your wattage: voltage x voltage/ resistance=watts. I think, and this is purely my opinion, that just staying consistant in one are can help you out the most. Use one consistant performing and resistance rated ohm and adjust your voltage to find the sweet spot for each juice. At least that's my opinion. I've heard of others using low resistance carts and tanks with the twist and having success. But some google searches will find you load of info. Good luck, I've heard great things about the twist.
  • Rule62Rule62 Posts: 3,237V2 Veteran
    The thing I like most about variable voltage vaping is that you don't have to be as particular about the resistance of the cartos you buy and use. Even in the same batch, cartos can vary a little in resistance. Chinese QC isn't always the best. Even V2 has stated that they randomly check their cartos, and anything between 2.5 and 3.0 ohms is acceptable. .5 ohms is a lot, in terms of vape quality. If a person has a basic understanding of wattage, has determined a particular wattage to be their "sweet spot", a VV device will accomodate differences in carto resistances.
    There are several Ohms Law calculators available on the net. I use this one:
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/ohmslaw2.html
    Well, I haven't ventured into VV territory yet, so I can't say what I really would do. What I stated above was just how I would use it to start and then work on things from there. Once someone comes out with a lower cost VV 808 unit then I'll be more likely to move that direction.
    Eventually, I believe the next move in variable devices is going to be variable wattage; where the user will select their sweet spot wattage, and this wattage will remain constant, throughout the duration of the battery, and whatever carto is being used. The only devices I know of that are doing this currently are the Darwin, which is nearly impossible to get, and the Kick, which isn't actually a PV. It's an attachment.
  • Totally2HempTotally2Hemp Posts: 4,398V2 Veteran
    edited June 2012

Calc's confuse me, so I use this chart:

Yep, that's a good one; except for me, vaping at 8.5 watts tastes like vaping asphalt.

Yeah I like to vape at 4.2ish and on the tidy's its a bit to high, I get a ucky taste,.... and they are 2.6 ohms

:/

The bottom coils seem to do well with lower voltages than polyfil cartos and CE2s. I think it's because they're so efficient. I vape the Phoenix BCs at around 3.9 to 4.1 volts.
    edited June 2012
    Yep got my iTaste at 3.9 sometimes I will back it off a bit, could be a break in thing to?
    I've taken the Phoenix apart, and the wicks are tiny. Nowhere near as heavy duty as Fluxo wicks.
    Hmmm was going to ask you about cleaning them and taking them apart.... the Tidy's could be taken apart and cleaned too? So how do you go about cleaning them? You can send me a PM if you dont wanna put it here.... but I was curious about that because they look so much different from a CE2 with where you just see wicks.... rinse them off and dry burn and done.
    edited June 2012
    Watch the video on using and cleaning the Pheonix and it should be similar. The biggest thing is not taking the tube off, but taking the center posts out and cleaning then dry burning. I wouldn't recommend using voddka as the ability air dry is limited with the tube still on, so when you dry burn the potential for a fire is greater. Or that's how I see it anyway.
    I haven't seen a Tidy, so I don't know. But the Phoenix can be taken apart. he plastic tube will come off, although some folks clean them without removing the plastic tube.. The metal center tube can be removed, it just pulls out, which exposes the coil and wicks. I soak everything in Everclear, and then dry burn the coil. You have to be a little more careful with the dry burn than you do with CE2s. Just hold until the coil turns red. Short bursts. I dry burn them at 3.3 volts..
  • maverick101maverick101 Posts: 191Member
    I'm finding on the 2.8/3.0 ohm stardusts using an ego twist tastes burnt above 4.4 volts.most of my juices are good @ about 4.0/4.3 vlts. That's roughly 6.6 wts. What wattages are you guys @?
    Usually, with CE2s, I'm at around 6.5 watts. Bottom coil Phoenix are a bit lower. 6.2 to 6.4 watts.
  • maverick101maverick101 Posts: 191Member
    I've read people boasting about being @ 8 wts up to like 15 wts.what are the benefits? Is 8 wts optimum for a good set up?
    Many folks who are using that sort of wattage are actually using dual coil cartos. For example, a 1.5 ohm dual coil carto contains two 3.0 ohm coils. If a single coil 3.0 ohm carto were vaped at, say, 4.0 volts, it would produce about 5.3 watts. However, two 3.0 cartos, wired in parallel, giving a total of 1.5 ohms, would produce 10.6 watts.
    edited June 2012

Eventually, I believe the next move in variable devices is going to be variable wattage; where the user will select their sweet spot wattage, and this wattage will remain constant, throughout the duration of the battery, and whatever carto is being used. The only devices I know of that are doing this currently are the Darwin, which is nearly impossible to get, and the Kick, which isn't actually a PV. It's an attachment.

Yep, the DNA 12 is out for the mod builders and hopefully soon more VW tube mod options will be available.  Watching and waiting