18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
Zig-Zag Vaporizers Zig-Zag vaporizers are a modern take on an iconic brand, with a style as individual as yours.

How long do your cartridges last and do fully charged batteries give a burnt taste?

I've been vaping with V2 for over a year now, and I love it. I sit at my desk all day selling dental supplies, and vape away the whole time!

However, from day one, I have not gotten much mileage from my cartridges. I started with the prefilled, then the e-liquid when they introduced it along with the blanks. Then I'd get the e-liquid with an order of prefilled and still not much better.  Best case scenario would be a couple of hours per cartridge before I'd have to toss or now refill.  

Now I'm using the e-max cartridges, and I really enjoy them but am blowing through the liquid quite fast (no pun intended).  I've done some research in the forums recently and see all the posts on refilling and cleaning and all that goodness.  But without all of that, how long do your cartridges last you before needing a refill or just simply being tossed for a constant burnt flavor?

One more question, does anybody else have an issue that a fully charged battery gives a burnt flavor for a bit before the flavor gets better? I seem to have to suffer through the burnt taste on every fully charged battery.  Once again, any insight in these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all the people who post so many useful tips and tricks here.

Comments

• amoreamore Posts: 2,194Member ✭✭
    @Salesguy, welcome to the vaping forum :)

How long your carts last depends on how you vape. I am a chain vapor so mine do not last very long. Also I take deep hits so that is a factor. Mine usually last 3 to 4 hours and then i refill or top it off. Mostly I just have about 5 or 6 carts a day and refill them at night.

As for the burn question: on a fully charged battery always use a newly filled cart that is what i do and it works for me. If you do that already then maybe it is because you have underfilled or overfilled your cart.

I don't have to throw away very many carts but when i do it is because of user errors. Carts can last for months and many refills, afaik.
  • SalesguySalesguy Posts: 15Member
    @amore, thanks!

I can't believe how much use some people like you get out of them! I can barely get a few days out of a single cartridge. Granted, I am just learning about how everybody seems to clean them out! That's dedication!  I do vape constantly and heavily at work as well, so it's good to know that 3 to 4 hours per cartridge is what you're getting as well. Though it is a bit of a let down, especially with the claims of 1 cartridge = 1 pack of cigarettes! They used to last longer back in the begining too.

As for the fresh battery, I just took one off the charger, hooked up a full e-max cartridge, and it's burnt as can be.  It will take a good half hour of vaping for it dissipate. So I've started blowing through the battery to lessen the charge a bit so I can enjoy properly.  It's so enjoyable, yet such a pain in the neck to vape sometimes. I've used a couple other brands, but mostly gas station brands when I was in a pinch because I didn't order early enough, so I can't really say if the good brands have this issue as well or not.

How can overfilling be an issue?

thanks again!
  • usernameusername Posts: 149Member ✭✭
    I buy prefilled and then refill with V2 Red juice. I have about 100+ used prefilled carts. right now, I have a group of 15 prefilled carts I'm messing with exclusively and have refilled them all 5 times. Thus far they all seem to be holding up well and do not taste bad. I haven't boiled or cleaned them out inside and have been using V2 Red eLiquid in 18mg and 12mg the whole time. I have another 5 that I've been filling with 24mg DeKang USA Red (50PG/50VG) mix which are doing well also, but the batting is starting to discolor, get sticky and the draw is getting a bit tougher. However, the taste on them is fine after 5 refills as well and the extra kick is good for the morning at work. I use 1x DeKang 24mg and 2x V2 Red refills each day. All twenty last me just under 6 full days, give or take. I vape them until the vapor gets thin and they are almost dead.
  • parrotladyparrotlady Posts: 693Member
    I only get a few hours on a cart, I'm a non-stop vaper too. I'm still using my original carts from 3 to 5 months old, some have been boiled and cleaned more than once.

I read that if there is old juice on the battery it can cause the first few hits to taste burnt because the oil is actually burning at the connection. Try cleaning the battery. Also, I think the guidelines are wrong about refills. You can probably get more juice in there than you think.

Fill from the bottom using the condom method. Dripping doesn't always get the juice to the bottom, and then it will taste burnt and ruin the cart.
    Fill from the bottom using the condom method. Dripping doesn't always get the juice to the bottom, and then it will taste burnt and ruin the cart.
    This is how I do it. It works very well.
    And do you all use the cleaning tips on the forums here? Or do you have some super secret way of saving them?  

One draw back to the cartridges is I chomp on my e-cigs and hold it between my teeth. I imagine myself making dramatic speeches and witty comments like Winston Churchill with that ever present cigar...  Be that as it may, I shred off the paper wrapping on my carts. Yes I know, be kind to your carts and they will be kind to you, but hell, I don't have the most exciting life selling dental supplies, so I need to live vicariously through my e-cig Churchill fantasy....

Of course, I can always fantasize about Monica Lewinsky and that cigar, but that would make for some awkward moments at work, besides, depending on where that cigar exactly was, it would mean that my lips are lips of a different calliber...  ok, nuff said before I get booted! lol

• jukiejukie Posts: 1,492Member ✭✭
    :)) =))  I use mine as a conductors wand while singing and dancing in my car - or for making a point.
    I think we just came up with a new thread! "Things you do with you e-cig other than for vaping."
  • DaddyCatDaddyCat Posts: 6,786Member ✭✭✭✭

@salesguy I'm not familiar with "e-max cartridge" a google search showed nothing. Do you know the resistance of the cartridge? V2's cartridges are ~2.8 Ohms, if your e-max are much less than 2.8 that could explain the burnt taste. V2's batteries start off the charger at ~4.3V then go lower with use.

btw I use about 2ml of juice per day and that's about 2 1/2 V2 style cartos. I use 3 cartos each day and rotate them so I (almost) never burn them. Refilled my cartos maybe 20 times but they do not last forever.

For those using the condom fill, I have a clever trick to make filling faster. Rather than sloooooowly push the carto into the condom I broke a round toothpick in half. Then I used a nail file to round the broken end. I coated the rounded end in e-juice so the toothpick swelled slightly over night to make a tighter fit in the carto's center tube. The next day I can plug the center tube with the toothpick and condom fill without the juice shooting up the center tube.

I save the little toothpick plug and have used it over and over. It tends to get a fresh coat of juice every refill session so it stays a nice snug fit.

Do something nice with all the extra time this little trick saves you. I suggest you eat that grape fruit that's been staring at you from the counter.

@DaddyCat, sorry, I meant that I'm now using the V2 Liquimax Blanks.  The rest of what you said is all chinese to me! lol

@Jukie, here's the link to the new thread I started. C'mon people, lets see how creative you are while vaping the day away...

不用谢   :p
  • amoreamore Posts: 2,194Member ✭✭
    @DaddyCat, i love your tip. You da Man :)
    edited October 2012
    I'm glad you like it amore. I always liked the condom fill results but not how slowly it must be done to do it well. The toothpick makes it quick And effective.
    DaddyCat said:

@salesguy I'm not familiar with "e-max cartridge" a google search showed nothing. Do you know the resistance of the cartridge? V2's cartridges are ~2.8 Ohms, if your e-max are much less than 2.8 that could explain the burnt taste. V2's batteries start off the charger at ~4.3V then go lower with use.

btw I use about 2ml of juice per day and that's about 2 1/2 V2 style cartos. I use 3 cartos each day and rotate them so I (almost) never burn them. Refilled my cartos maybe 20 times but they do not last forever.

For those using the condom fill, I have a clever trick to make filling faster. Rather than sloooooowly push the carto into the condom I broke a round toothpick in half. Then I used a nail file to round the broken end. I coated the rounded end in e-juice so the toothpick swelled slightly over night to make a tighter fit in the carto's center tube. The next day I can plug the center tube with the toothpick and condom fill without the juice shooting up the center tube.

I save the little toothpick plug and have used it over and over. It tends to get a fresh coat of juice every refill session so it stays a nice snug fit.

Do something nice with all the extra time this little trick saves you. I suggest you eat that grape fruit that's been staring at you from the counter.

That's freaking awesome. Thanks for sharing that nugget. Going to have to try this!
  • vapeguyrtsvapeguyrts Posts: 429Member
    I make sure to wipe off the batteries connection with a slightly damp paper towel, with water, and clean the ends and threads once a weak.  The fluid that comes back to the battery connection in the form of steam will eventually dry on in a clear and non visual way.  Slightly scratch the end with your fingernail and if you see a line, there is a coating that needs to be removed.

For the initial post, yes when the battery is fully charged -sometimes- I get a less than pleasant taste if I take a long drag.  So usually my first four or five draws are shorter to get rid of the full 4.2 volts available.  Why some do not have this happen and some do, may be the fact that the V2 carts are ~2.8 ohm with a .2 +/- difference.  If you have a 2.6 ohm cart then the fully charged battery is just a little too much.
    Good tips and tricks and info from all of you! I really appreciate it, wish I realized we had this forum months ago, would have saved me a ton of dinero!
    edited November 2012
    @DaddyCat, awesome, I'm going to try that. I tried a toothpick before and it didn't work at all. I was too dumb to think about making it swell up to fit. I'm soaking one as I type. :)  But...I don't like grapefruit.
    Have any of you switched to the Liquimax cartridges? Any tips on preserving their longevity?

I switched to them on the hope of a longer lasting cartridge, but I'm gonna try the regular carts again with all of your suggestions.

@parrotlady, it was a happy accident, I was using a dry toothpick to partially block the center tube. I saved the toothpick and the next day it fit tighter. Maybe I can sell them and get rich! I'll call them "The Magic Condom Helper".

I'm sure there's A fruit on your counter waiting for you..... or a fruit flavor vape. I remember someone saying there's a e-juice with vitamins, such a funny world we live in.

What a great idea, a condom helper with a sharp point on it. And this is going to help...who?
    ;)
    back to the drawing board #-o
    Nah, you just need better marketing. Change the name to "Magic Fertility Kit".
  • vapeguyrtsvapeguyrts Posts: 429Member
    Oh man, could be the end of the condom fill method.    :-t
  • angelangel Posts: 115Member
    I am fairly new to vaping. I started about 2 months ago. Didn't even realize they had this forum until now so I've been on my own......not a good thing. :)
    How often do you think it is necessary to clean the cartridges? I see that most people boil them. So how long do you boil them? I read somewhere not to boil the white plug thing. ( Sorry I'm not familiar with all the correct terminology yet).  I am wanting to boil mine and will dry out in the oven.
    Where do you get the extra condoms and do you leave them on the cartridges after you fill them.? So far I have just been dripping the juice into the cartridge with a round toothpick to block the little hole. Thank you DaddyCat for the tip on breaking toothpick in half and moistening to make it swell.
    Also is it alright to mix flavors?
  • reyd8reyd8 Posts: 1Member
    Salesguy said:
    I've been vaping with V2 for over a year now, and I love it. I sit at my desk all day selling dental supplies, and vape away the whole time!

However, from day one, I have not gotten much mileage from my cartridges. I started with the prefilled, then the e-liquid when they introduced it along with the blanks. Then I'd get the e-liquid with an order of prefilled and still not much better.  Best case scenario would be a couple of hours per cartridge before I'd have to toss or now refill.  

Now I'm using the e-max cartridges, and I really enjoy them but am blowing through the liquid quite fast (no pun intended).  I've done some research in the forums recently and see all the posts on refilling and cleaning and all that goodness.  But without all of that, how long do your cartridges last you before needing a refill or just simply being tossed for a constant burnt flavor?

One more question, does anybody else have an issue that a fully charged battery gives a burnt flavor for a bit before the flavor gets better? I seem to have to suffer through the burnt taste on every fully charged battery.  Once again, any insight in these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all the people who post so many useful tips and tricks here.

I also have an issue with a fully charged battery giving me a burnt taste, or even burning the cotton rendering the cartridge unusable.  to fix this I usually take an old spent disposable cartridge, screw it on to my freshly charged battery and then blow through the battery end for about 6 or 7 seconds. Then I put the battery on my V2 liquimax, no more burnt taste. a hassle I know, but does the trick for me.