18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

ever had weird side effects from vaping?

a friend started vaping about 6 mos ago.  at some point she developed a stiff and painful shoulder which got progressively worse over time until she could hardly put her coat on & was severely painful.  

She tried to identify what was different in the last year & her cat gave her a bad bite at one time & there was a spider bite in early summer.  The only other thing was vaping. 

She stopped & within 24 hours there was a vast improvement.  She doesn't know if this was a coincidence but she's baffled & doesn't want to go back to smoking.

Has anyone ever heard of side effects like this from vaping?

Comments

• TheSmokinSquirrelTheSmokinSquirrel Posts: 774Member
    OMG...funny  you  should  be  bringing  this up

I'm  fairly  new  to  the  vaping  game  and  recently  I  have  been  noticing   that  I'm  going from   hot  to  cold  spells..it's  not like  anything  that  I'm  getting  from  menopausing...totally  different  type  of  episodes.  To  add  to  that,  getting  a  minor  annoying  headache  and  have  been  sneezing..thinking  I'll  chalk  that up  to  the  temperature  change and barometric  pressure lol

Lastly,  and  this  is  pretty  gross....I've  noticed that  bowel  movements  are  more  frequent and  voluminous!!!

I'm  thinking  I  might  be  allergic  to  one  of  the  ingredients  particularly  the PG...researching   some  companies   that  carry  all  VG  or  a  higher  VG to  PG ratio

Hope   that  I  wont  have  to  give  up  on  vaping...I  really  need  to  get  off  these  analogs!!!

• MagicMillyMagicMilly Posts: 35Member
    what's VG & PG?

VG=  Vegetable Glycerin

PG=  Propylene  Glycol

V2 's  use  a  higher   PG  to  VG ratio   which  from  what  I  read  ,  it  sounds  like  the  PG  could  be  the  culprit  in  my  case

thank you.  Hard to know if what you read is true.  I just looked up a few things about PG & for the most part it seems pretty benign but of course anyone can have a sensitivity to anything.  I never paid attention before to what was actually in the e cigs besides nicotine & since she smoked for 50 years I couldn't imagine isolated nicotine causing problems.  It's a puzzle.....Keep us informed of your path????

• CynsonyaCynsonya Posts: 5,762Member
    @TheSmokinSquirrel...Your symptoms are quite normal for some. There is a thread here somewhere of side effects. Maybe @DaddyCat would be so nice as to post it when he gets home if he still has it bookmarked side effects like that generally clear up after a short time. You may not have a PG sensitivity at all. Just your body getting used to everything.

@MagicMilly....Others have reported somewhat severe leg pain and attribute that to vaping. Not many but a few. Some found switching to VG juice helped. Have your friend try the VG juice to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Cynsonya,...

you mean she would have to fill her own carts?  The liquid you use for that is all VG?
    thank you very much amore....I'll check it out for her......
  • JmanJman Posts: 3,050Member
    Stiff painful shoulder thing could be occurring with me as I type this. Has been going on for a few days and wasn't limited to just the shoulder. In fact, once it started moving to chest, I got pretty concerned. Saw doctor yesterday and received optimistic news. 

I've been vaping for around 1 year and never experienced this sort of sensation until about the last week. In the entire past year, I've both smoked and vaped, and in last 2 months, I smoke around a pack a week. In last 3 days, I don't think I've had one smoke. Not currently looking to stop smoking, but obviously a little bit more interested in cutting back. Have also cut back a bit on vaping, though still take at least 30 puffs a day right now.

The link with the side effects for what you might experience when you start vaping somewhat humors me, but in same way any drug that lists umpteen side effects for its use. 

Not saying you said this @amore, but I don't think those effects apply to someone who's been vaping for more than 3 months. And if they do, then it might seem it is more about vaping than about not smoking, though I'm sure we vapers would dispute that assertion. 

Nope not meant for a 3 month vaper but instead a fairly brand new vaper like @TheSmokinSquirrel

Cynsonya said:
    @TheSmokinSquirrel...Your symptoms are quite normal for some. There is a thread here somewhere of side effects. Maybe @DaddyCat would be so nice as to post it when he gets home if he still has it bookmarked side effects like that generally clear up after a short time. You may not have a PG sensitivity at all. Just your body getting used to everything. @MagicMilly....Others have reported somewhat severe leg pain and attribute that to vaping. Not many but a few. Some found switching to VG juice helped. Have your friend try the VG juice to see if it makes a difference.
    Thanks for  the  comment  Cynsonya,  that  makes  sense  to  me...just to  be  on  the  safe side ,  just  ordered a  sample that  has  a  50/50  ratio     and  the  best  part  is...it's  totally  FREE!  

I  ♥  FREE!!!!!   lol

VD is one of the best @TheVapingSquirrel
  • JmanJman Posts: 3,050Member
    Cynsonya said:
    VD is one of the best @TheVapingSquirrel
    Sounds dirty, but it's not.
  • DaddyCatDaddyCat Posts: 6,786Member ✭✭✭✭
    I see darling amore posted the link Cynsonya was asking for. I love the helpful people on this forum.

@MagicMilly it could be a flavoring ingredient your friend as problem with or it could be PG.  I don't know of any vendors selling 100% VG prefilled carts though there may be some. If your friend is willing to refill the number of places selling 100% VG flavors is large. Refilling is really easy and takes only a few mins. 100% VG is not something V2 sells so there's no conflict if you wish some places recommended, myself and others could send you a PM. 

Thank you very much DaddyCat!  She really doesn't want to go back to regular cigs, she's been 2 mos without any after 40 years........

have you heard of others having severe localized muscle pain/stiffness before?

I wanted to believe it was something else but when it drastically improved after 24 hours it's hard to ignore.........:(

I've read of a few people having some odd side effects that were suspected of being vaping related though proof is almost never seen and never have I heard of  severe localized muscle pain/stiffness. It does seem more than a coincident that your friends symptoms ended after stopping vaping. I'm not going to suggest they restart vaping the same thing to see if the symptoms return.

So the question is, is this a flavoring or PG problem? Has your friend been vaping the same flavor during the painful time period?  If the pain occurred while vaping different flavors that were predominately PG based maybe we can assume it's a PG issue. If they vaped the same flavor/brand then there could be a problem with one of the ingredients, possibly again PG  or one of the flavorings.  
    I'll have to check with her tomorrow (she doesn't have a computer) but I think it's always been Menthol & she did run out so she had to get a few from the Mom & Pop's but we read the ingredients and they were supposed to be 20% PG.
    edited January 2013
    There was a thread here about severe leg pain/cramps I have been searching for it but now can't find it anywhere. One person ended up switching her husband (one in pain) to vg juice after a doctors visit and it seemed to help. Darn I wish I could find that thread.
    edited January 2013
    Did the pain start after the Mom and Pop juice or before?
    Oh my goodness I finally found it. I am gonna try to post a link but not sure if it will work....

http://forum.v2cigs.com/discussion/5737/anyone-else-have-muscle-aches-and-or-cramps-from-the-pg-lactic-acid-symptoms#latest
    edited January 2013
    Sensitivity to PG is extremely rare so I'm inclined to think it maybe an ingredient/flavoring that's the problem (if it is vaping related). V2's menthol has seemingly changed several times over the last 9 months. I wonder if your friend got one of the strange tasting menthols. Without more info from your friend we're just guessing. Lets continue the conversation tomorrow after your talk with her. Please ask if the  menthol smelled or tasted chemically or off in any way. She may have gotten one of the nasty batches so many had complained about (though it seems the menthol sold now has few complaints).

P.S.  excellent find @Cynsonya
    You guys are GREAT!!!  

@Cynsonya--thank you very much for your effort!  Interesting--will look into lactid acid!  It's interesting too that others have had muscle issues, even if it's more commonly in the legs it appears.

@DaddyCat--thank you for your ongoing effort too!  She started off with a Starter Kit so it's hard to pin point when, what & how severe....although it was all Menthol, it's hard to pin point.  When you get to a certain age, you learn to ignore discomfort as much as possible until it can't be ignored.  So it's pretty much what you see is what you get.  

I think the next step is to find VG and to find out what to do about lactic acididosis--baking soda?

• Dale123Dale123 Posts: 113Member ✭✭
    I've been vaping for a year and a half, and I know I'm not sensitive to pg or VG, after trying so many mixes.

But every once in a while I will get a flavor, usually from a gas station or a random site, that makes me sneeze or causes my throat to get sore and lungs hurt.
    I believe it is the additives/flavorings that can sometimes cause reactions, or sensitivity. And if I had a problem I just never used that flavor or brand again. Always been a big fan of strong flavors, and some are just harsh or my body does not like it.

But I believe most reports of serious issues are either allergic reactions, or the body detoxing from cigarettes and starting to heal.
  • KenKen Posts: 462Member
    @MagicMilly I had a problem with cramping, and muscle spasms about two months into vaping. In my case it was an electrolyte imbalance that was solved with a good multi-vitamin with minerals, and an occasional glass of "Gatorade", "Pedialite"(good if you're diabetic) or if I can find them, electrolyte tabs (NOT the same as "salt pills"). My doc found out via a blood test, and cautioned me that, although the symptoms may have been causally linked to either quitting smoking, or starting to vape, it could well have been coincidental, and not to assign blame to either of the two.
    Hope this helps,
    Have a great day!
    <><   
    Thank you Dale!  I wonder if some times "China" decides to use PG that's not pharmaceutical grade, aka antifreeze type  :(

• sephiroth726sephiroth726 Posts: 134Member
    the only real stuff I experienced was the detox side effects aside from right now and occasionally my lungs almost feel dry... anyone else had this feeling?
    Thank you Dale!  I wonder if some times "China" decides to use PG that's not pharmaceutical grade, aka antifreeze type  :(

Thus is  why I'm  only  buying  my  juice   from  USA  vendors  from now  on!

@sephiroth726 ..PG  is  dehydrating...drink  lots  and lots of  water

@sephiroth726 ..PG  is  dehydrating...drink  lots  and lots of  water

oh yea I have been :) BTW what juices would you recommend? I'm a noob so I don't know who sells crap and who sell good stuff lol
     I'm  still  a  noob  myself  so,  I'm still  searching   for  a primo  vendor

I  personally   would  look  for USA  made juice/vendors  ;)

• frumpfrump Posts: 60Member ✭✭
    It has taken many months of having sore throat and sore mouth intermittantly to figure out that it most likely is being caused by the primer in most cartos.  I think I also have a problem with PG, but I've noticed that with used, cleaned carts and clearos I don't get symptoms, but when I use new ones I do.  When V2 changed there carts and packaging I developed sores in my mouth.  I believe the new ones contain primer.  I once used the X2 clearos without cleaning them first, and had the same problem.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?   Anybody know what they use for primer?
    Very interesting frump! I'd like to hear too!
    frump said:

It has taken many months of having sore throat and sore mouth intermittantly to figure out that it most likely is being caused by the primer in most cartos.  I think I also have a problem with PG, but I've noticed that with used, cleaned carts and clearos I don't get symptoms, but when I use new ones I do.  When V2 changed there carts and packaging I developed sores in my mouth.  I believe the new ones contain primer.  I once used the X2 clearos without cleaning them first, and had the same problem.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?   Anybody know what they use for primer?

V2 needs to fix that then... that sucks
    edited February 2013
    The primer most often used is simply unflavored PG @frump.
  • frumpfrump Posts: 60Member ✭✭
    Thanks @Cynsonya, I suspected that, since PG also causes me mouth problems.
  • arkadianriverarkadianriver Posts: 18Member
    You say she stopped smoking 2 months ago. Could it maybe be a temporary cleansing effect of that, rather than a toxic effect of vaping? Maybe just coincidental that it stopped shortly after ceasing vaping. But yeah, I notice the dehydrating effect, too.
    You make a good point arkadianriver.  Personally, I don't understand how vaping could be localized like this.  It's hard to explain why her symptoms drastically remitted after stopping vaping but I still think it's a coincidence. 

I remember a massage therapist explaining how muscles release toxins that sometimes collect. If this area is a weak spot for other unrelated reasons, the "cleansing effect" you speak about may explain that the toxins collect in this weak area...... That's the only explanation I can think of.  She has a doctor appointment in the next week so I'm anxious to see what the doctor thinks......
  • honeyhoney Posts: 1Member
    I have symptoms that are completely non e-cig related.  I just got my e-cig yesterday so I KNOW my symptoms have nothing to do with e-cig.

I did a google search for some of my symptoms and discovered acidosis.  To be honest, at this moment, my immediate thought is that it has something to do with tobacco cigarettes. 

I've been physically sick for a long while (so much so that it's driving me to deal with my addiction - which is why I bought e-cigs).  I have pain in my right shoulder and my neck and a soreness in my right thigh.  I discovered acidosis from search term "lax jaw" (my mouth seems to hang open and I think it is both breathing and muscle related).  Then again, I have been very sick and sore for some months now and I'm not sure what exactly is going on with me.

• sdoddsdodd Posts: 1,174Member ✭✭
    have you seen a doctor about this @honey?
    That's interesting Honey.  I hope you find some answers and feel better soon.

"I have pain in my right shoulder and my neck and a soreness in my right thigh".... as you stated above are the same symptoms my friend has.  
  • krystal68krystal68 Posts: 118Member

Strange and graphic....

As many of you have mentioned and most all of us know vaping can be very dehydrating. This plays out in different ways, dry throat, dry mouth, dry lungs.. and dry innerds... I used to wake up every morning and light up a smoke stick, with in 10 minutes, I was using the ..... umm... ladies room.. (the can, the john, the biffy, the tur-let) ... and would rid myself of yesterdays... waste....

I am a health nut,(run daily, lift weights, watch diet)  and a distributor for a large health and nurtition company,  I use our products every day to stay regular, keep my energy up and my weight down.. With that said, without tons of fluids, NOTHING MOVES.. so as to contribute to the forum, im sharing my knowledge... and a very important tip... Drink lots and lots of fluids, many people suffer from minor side effects when giving up analogs, whether you switch to e-cigs or not, it is very important to keep yourself well hydrated!! Or It may not be a joke, when people say that you are full of sh*t!!

:-&
  • LlamainmypocketLlamainmypocket Posts: 169Member
    Potentially a muscle cramp induced by dehydration. Tell her to drink try drinking a Gatorade and maybe 32 oz water daily for a few days.

I'm not a medical professional but I had my first cramp in like ten years about two weeks after I started vaping. Dehydration caused by poor hydration habits was my hypotheses. There is some sort of link between dryness and PG but I was unable to determine if dryness and hydration were the same thing in this situation. 

The dryness caused by pg isn't a huge deal but that in combination with some bad habits over a 6 month period could get her there. My answer was that it's a good opportunity to start drinking tea and enforcing a good water routine.
    Another answer would be trying a VG e liquid. I've seen no such link between VG and dryness but if that fixed the problem I'd suspect it was dehydration.
    I'd also want to stress that there's no link between pg and cramped muscles aside from the possibility of dehydration. This substance has been used and tested thoroughly since the 1940's.

There are however a multitude of side effects from quitting smoking that range from tooth aches to heart burn as well as being light headed, all of which have very easily understood mechanical relationships. There's also the possibility of an allergy to pg or a flavor.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, my friend went to Dr. today & is to have some testing so it will be a while before there's any more info......

Thank you @MagicMilly for the update. Please let us know what the Dr had to say. I hope your friend finds some solution to her aches and pains.
  • VaporWolfVaporWolf Posts: 38Member
    I had to lighten the PG load on my liquid due to cramping and shaking.  I developed a weird tremor in my hands that I attributed to vaping.  Having read a lot of the info on PG side effects I decided to try a different mix and ordered some liquid that was 70% PG and 30% VG.  This seemed to solve the problem for me.  The heavier VG gives me a bit of a sloppy cough occasionally but no sore throat or muscle cramps or tremors.  It's a win for me right now.
  • parrotladyparrotlady Posts: 684Member
    I had to switch to 50/50 to avoid mouth sores. That seems to work for me.
  • The_ImmortalsThe_Immortals Posts: 5Member
    Very interesting symptoms, but I'd too first attempt to rule out dehydration. Drinking non-caffeinated and no sugar added drinks, along with eating PLENTY of vegetables and a bit of fruit is always a good idea, so that you get your proper dose of potassium. Take a low dose multivitamin if diet is not optimal. A bare minimum of a B complex and 400 mg magnesium citrate can help with cramps almost instantly. Your diet should provide an adequate amount of calcium and vitamin D - read food labels. Muscles suffer when calcium levels are imbalanced and this mineral is better taken from foods than from pills.

Otherwise, while PG and VG may have been tested in other inhalants, they were not meant for constant and prolonged inhalation, so we cannot blame FDA for being cautious. As long as they're not banning e-smoking altogether, we have nothing to complain about. Besides, they have to review chinese products, procedures and manufacture protocol compliance - not a fun job.

Please keep us posted with any other comments and health updates! Thank you!
    Thank you Immortal--very informative post and thanks for caring!  She had some tests yesterday so hopefully we'll start getting some direction!