18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Health problems from vaping?

MzMaryMacMzMaryMac Posts: 32Member
edited March 2011 in Vaping Central
=((

Comments

• MzMaryMacMzMaryMac Posts: 32Member
    I have been happily vaping along for one month today...yay me!  That said, I now have a resting heart rate of 100 and my blood pressure has rocketed to 150 over 100.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I went down from medium to light right away.  I plan to order some zeros to mix in.  Just wondering if anyone else has gotten themselves this sick from vaping.
  • justjimjustjim Posts: 29Member
    your nicotine intake is to high from over vaping. try the 4mg or even the zero nic if you vape constantly.
  • XfactorXfactor Posts: 101Member
    edited March 2011
    What was your heart rate and blood pressure before vaping?
  • goin4nosmokegoin4nosmoke Posts: 1,682Member
    how long have u been quit?????   could be your body adjusting and going thru all the other chem withdraws
    p.s. sorry u said 1 month   my therapist says it takes a good several months to 6 months for most of chems to leave the body.....i would call your doc and ask
  • EarthpigEarthpig Posts: 4,754V2 Veteran
    Longer than that.
    If you are on a detox diet, (not just smoke related) you can be 1+ yr.,  to purge some item out. AND some never will come out. Great results happen in 6mo's but it's just the start (been there, done that). Only way to verify is specific blood draws of numerous items...not cheap. About $1000.00 a blood draw, and a well trained doctor in Holistic Medicine who can read between the lines.

what EP said :)
    Did it to avoid a cancer. I won.
    That and a lotta prayers.
  • XfactorXfactor Posts: 101Member
    Glad to hear it, Pig!

huge WOOT and toot to u EP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vape On

Thanks. 
    Yeah I got a reawakening to who God is and to Holistic Medicine, all in one shot.
    2008   ....   Best and worst year all in one on many fronts.

I won't preach, but figure out who this Jesus fellow is. You won't be let down...seriously.

• KristinKristin Posts: 32Member
    A week after vaping i got an upper respiratory infection. It could have been from some nasty v2 cartos i got and smoked, but im hoping it was just coincidence and it goes away. What im afraid of is this. I quit smoking for a while then went back to it. I had formed an allergy to all the crap in cigs and they would mess w my sinuses and chest. The only thing i could smoke were american spirits which claim to have no additives and i believe them bc they didnt bother me like other cigs. I am hoping that im not having an allergic reaction to vaping bc i love it. I know all the additives in ecigs are food safe, etc, but they're safe to eat, not necessarily safe to smoke. Lungs are very absorbant little things whereas when you eat something it goes through your stomach acid, intestines, and liver and kidneys. It gets processed by our bodies. Being safely processed by our bodies and getting shot straight into our lungs on a constant basis are two different things entirely. So i guess we shall see what happens. I got some v4l cartos and juice and some of it is vg. I really hope that i can continue vaping bc i cannot see ever going back to smoking...
  • StorytellerStoryteller Posts: 563Member
    edited March 2011

Most analog cigarretts have sooo many chemical additives that there is no way anyone can tell me that PG ejuice is inherintaly worse. Now there may be some questionable vendors that could slip some bad stuff in, but for the most part we are not vaping anything we havnt received in the form of smoke in our cigarrettes. Analog cigarettes have PG added as well as many other flavors.

There are more than 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco. Common additives include yeast, wine, caffeine, beeswax and chocolate. Here are some other ingredients:

Ammonia: Household cleaner
    Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
    Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
    Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
    Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
    Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
    Cadmium: Used in batteries
    Cyanide: Deadly poison
    DDT: A banned insecticide
    Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
    Lead: Poisonous in high doses
    Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
    Methoprene: Insecticide
    Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
    Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
    Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
    Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
    Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

Here is a good read http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/whatsinit.htm

Here is a good read

Well, like i said, i couldnt smoke normal cigs. The additives in them made me sick. A week after i started vaping, i got sick again. Im hoping its just coincidence. I have a friend that i turned onto vaping and he coughs more now that he vapes. One of my coworkers tried one of my ecigs for a night and it gave him a headache. ..
    Maybe just pg allergy. I got vg and im gonna try that and stay positive...
    edited March 2011
    Kristin.
    I use a high dollar Holistic Doctor who's specialty is Life Extension. It takes me (a follow up patient for 2 years) 3 months just to set up an appointment with him. When I do go in, it is not uncommon to spend a solid hour with him. In other words and in short, he's the best of the best.
     Now I don't go for the hocus pocus mind body stuff and yoga (which is a fancy name for stretching exercises while yelling OOOOMMMMM), since it interferes and conflicts with my Christian belief structure, but the guy is a genius in the nutritional side. 

When discussing e-cigs and what the products were, even knowing he is a extreme skeptic on new products and quite picky in what a human should ingest, he was thrilled with the ingredients.
     PG which is a very slow sugar and converts to lactic acid and is urinated out....no prob. Also an antibacterial.
     VG is a palm /veggie oil product. Also a slow sugar.
     Nicotine we know all about. No worse than caffeine except the addictive qualities.
     Flavorings are usually the culprit, but the flavors used are generally food grade and a non issue. BUT some have issues with specific ones.

(side note: Cinnamon is a biggie for allergies, and note also Vanilla is in "many, many" mixes and contains alcohols and other thinners. See V2's ingredients lists...lotta vanilla except menthol)

If you are having respiratory issues, there could be an immediate reaction to vapor, since many cough and are pushing up phlem when they first start. That clears in a short while for most (a week or two). It's releasing tars and contaminants from smoke. A lot at first.

PG has a 3% number of vapers who have allergies.  VG , less is known but assumed less.

IF you are having respiratory distress, I would advise a doctor suited for the issue (pulmonary spec)
    Any one worth their salt won't blame e-cigs, but maybe a allergic reaction to a  item in them.
    If you are a long term smoker, good chance you have damage needing addressed.

Don't condemn the ingredients, as most (~95%+) never have issues. 

you are awsome at this EP   I should just print out your post and just hand it to people      thanks for all your info and stuff   keep it comin
  • Ka0sKa0s Posts: 1,220Member
    I cough more from vaping, but it is starting to taper off. The first week and a half I was waking up in the morning hacking up "lung butter".. Same thing happened when i quit cold turkey a number of years ago.. It is normal for some lung and respiratory fluctuations when you stop smoking, regardless of whether you vape or not. Give it a couple weeks and if it does not change, speak to your doctor. 

As a side note.. I coughed more with V2 carts versus the CE2 carts I just got and fill with my local mixer's juice.. I also found I cough even less with a touch of menthol added to one of my mainstay flavors.. I have 4 flavors so far, 3 are non-menthol.. 

Hopefully everything works out for you. If worse comes to worse, try using pure VG juice and see if there is a difference.. My mixer uses 80% VG and 20% PG in most of his mixes, but he can do 100% VG if needed.. 
    edited March 2011
    As of late I've come down with some kind of bug/allergy. Not cig/e-cig related but it knocked the crap out of
    me.
    I am still a smoker, cut down from a heavy 2  to 2 1/2 pack a day cig with a nic/tar/co2 rating on the very high edge to 1 pk of Carltons/Basics, @ 1/4 to 1/2 the nic/tar/co2. (nearly smoking a salad by comparison). I'm not proud of it , but all considered I am down to 1/4 or less from where I was.
    I considered e-cigs to quit with, and (this is of importance to those quitting) have not set a deadline for quitting. Why beat myself up,,,It's happening and I'll get there. Whats a few months compared to the past 20years?

That said , I have done a life style change 360 of major proportions. That I am proud of. I lost 40 lbs, and am down to 15-18%bmi and walk a few miles a day (weather and God willing). I went from heavily using a Ventolin unit to never needing it in the last 2 years...before I cut down on the cigs. I can normally blow the top up on a flow meter.

Well over the past 2 weeks the bug/allergy kicked my tail, and a 350 on a flow meter was an issue. 
    Now I'm coming back with some Claritan and steroids, and for the first time, I've picked up the Ventolin and needed it a lot. It was a rough 2 wks, and I'm much better, thanks. Ventolin isn't being touched now much and will soon be back in the drawer.
    I Met (Peggy) Phlegming (sorry, that was bad)
    Ok, I'm saying this all to make a point, so bear with me.
    We sometimes have irritants that get us. When I tried vaping through this I would cough up a lung, but cigs were almost bearable. Why? I assume because they are drier. I really don't know. I still can't pick up a KR808D-1, without a coughing jag, but have been able to use a 510 model, which (and I noticed this before) seems a slight bit smoother. I don't get it, since vapor action out of both are nearly equal on the same fluid.
    ((( If someone has answers on the differences I would love to hear))).

Some things work better for some people. Some can use specific fluids, and some(my case) seem to even have a sensitivity that I didn't even realize till down for the count to a specific unit of e-cig. (this is a major surprise ). Some never have an allergy(they think), and something triggers a sensitivity and BAM.

Those who read what I write (no, I'm not important)  realize I'm a cynic when it comes to flavors, carto burn, and (now it seems) model style. I advocate for V2 units, and more specifically the KR808D-1's... LOVE EM!
    To Kristin. I'm behind ya girl.  I hope I don't come off harsh sounding to your points. 

Fluids are not an issue with a large quantity of the vaping population.  Consider an apple. It's not an apple, it's a compilation of many chemicals. Many I cannot even pronounce or figure what they are (without major digging).
    Consider also Dried Coffee Creamers. The ingredients have a chemical consistency similar to Tide XK laundry detergent. It doesn't make the creamer bad (even though I don't like em).
    NOW
    Consider V2's flavors and their chemical make up (which V2 supplies, somewhere and I have read it (downloaded as well)). Also some chemical I don't understand. It doesn't make it bad.

E juice is not antifreeze or nail polish, yet has anti freezing qualities (so does alcohol).
    The coffee creamer is not Tide XK, yet when broken down and looking at chemical bonds they look similar.
    ((An orange....watch out now....has acid in it ....L ascorbic acid(or vitamin c) Scary Eh? ))

These types of (orange=acid) tactics are used by the FDA to scare us. This next statement pains me to say, but the FDA did us a favor in finding the tainted carto with"real" antifreeze. It opened up vaper eyes and got us looking (Kristin). That is the LAST good thing I can say for the FDA (I think I will be ill now...urp,,,better).

I guess what I've tried to do (as others are trying as well) is be cynical but read through the lines on harm reduction.
    We have sensitivities to certain things. Everyone individually. Some can smoke cigs to age 90 with no ill effects. Exception rather than the rule, and maybe a combo of genetics and lifestyle...who knows.
    Others cannot walk in a room with a cig lit.

Find what works for you.
    There are (in the past 7 yrs) no known deaths related to e-cigs.

Sorry for being so long
    (oh, and I'm not a chemist...but play one on tv..ha)

KaOs
    Important statement that you just mentioned
    Coughing more w/ stock carto vs CE2.
    There is something I haven't gotten yet.

thanks
    da-pig
    *******applauds*******   nice speech, great info..thanks for sharing :)
    Well, yesterday i switched to VG and took some sudafed and today i am breathing much clearer. Like i said i dont know if it was a reaction to a bad batch or PG or what. I have some really great flavors now and a couple extra long batteries. I got a very bad batch of 15 cartos from V2 and got a $10 credit, but i dont think i am going to risk it again. I got some VG juice and thinks are vaping smoothly. Ahhhh....
    Thanks G4NS
    Lil long...sorry.

Kristin.
    A bad batch is unlikely. Sometimes when in a weakened state, little allergies that we don't even sometimes know we have, act big.
    It very well could be a PG issue, but generally a specific flavoring is more common.
    Good luck on the VG. Less chance of reaction with it, but a little harder to come by, and get satisfactory flavors in, if you like that 'throat hit" thing it's not as good. VG is smoother/softer, more vapor though.. 
    I have been a vaper for 5 weeks now and the upper respiratory infection is gone. I have done quite a bit of research and found many resources for products and info. I know it sounds unlikely that a batch of 15 prefilled cartos could all be bad, but after much experience with different juice and cartos I hold firm that those cartos were just nasty. Did try VG for a while, but I didnt like the lack of flavor and when i smoke VG consistently i cant take a full hit without choking, so im back to PG lol. I have a new model on the way that will prevent me from having to worry about burnt polyfill or bad cartos. And i am currently in love with my drip tip. Mmmm driiiiiiiip tiiiiiip.... i so friggin love vaping...
  • V2cigUserV2cigUser Posts: 20Member
    who is Peggy??  don't get it??
  • UNSUREUNSURE Posts: 1Member
    SMOKER OF REGULAR CIGARETTES FOR 38 YEARS FOR THE LAST MONTH BEEN CIGARETTE FREE AND FEELING GREAT THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IM COUGHING UP BLOOD IN THE MORNING BRITE BED FRESH BLOOD SPOTS GOT SCARED WENT BACK TO REGULAR CIGARETTES AND PROBLEM GONE THEN TRIED VAPING AGAIN WITH EJUICE AND PROBLEM STARTED AGAIN IM SURE ITS CAUSED FROM THE ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE USE BECAUSE IN ALL MY 38 YEARS OF SMOKING I HAVE NEVER EVER COUGHED UP BLOOD SO I THINK THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE TESTING DONE TO SEE HOW TRUELY SAFE THESE ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES OR THEIR VAPING JUICE TRUELY IS AND PEOPLE SHOULD STOP SAYING HOW GREAT AND GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH THEY ARE WHEN YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH THEY NEED MORE TESTING DONE ON THESE THINGS TO BE SURE :(
  • corvett620corvett620 Posts: 1Member
    hello there, I have been a smoker for 20 years, I tried vaping and I was hooked.  For about 4 months, I had no issues with smoking e cigarettes.  Then after I got really into it, purchased 10 mods, and was smoking 24/7 I got a rash on my groin, like jock itch, never in my life have I had that.  I went to doctor, got medicine, the rash does not go away, the most I vape it just get worse, I also feel like I have the flu, sick but can't really tell if it's the medicine for the rash, it says that it can also cause flu like reaction.  So now I have to go back to Marboro lights for a week, and see what happens.  it's either the pg, the vg, or sweetener, or all 3 put together. I had no issues for the first 4 months.  Nothing happened until I started vaping 24/7, I have been going down on Nicotine, from starting at 24mg, and now down to 6.  I am going to smoke regular for one week, and see if I get better.  If I get better, I know it was from the ecigs, because for 1 months now nothing has helped me.  After a week, I want to try all pg e liquid, then try e liquid with no sweetener and see if that helps. I already tried all VG for a day, and well I didn't notice any difference. Maybe that was not long enough to try?  
  • Rocket22000Rocket22000 Posts: 1Member

corvette620 - Speak to people to have quit smoking without vaping. Everything you have written I have heard from quitting WITHOUT vaping, including my own brother. Keep in mind for a very long time you introduced several thousand chemicals into your body, several hundred of which are highly addictive and you will go thru withdraws of several kinds. The most common of which is flu like symptoms and skin reactions. over 50 chemicals in analogs settle in your skin. That having been said after quitting smoking you WILL develop and also become more sensitive to allergies and chemicals, also the sun in some cases. Better than lung cancer right, but recognize you and all of us recovering smokers have done damage we will suffer for an indefinite period of time. Maybe the rest of our lives. Most go away inside a year but not all. 

I have read a lot very good info on this old thread but UNSURE you must have done research on the vape product you are using or the liquid you chose right?? 

Fact is not all are right for all people but comparatively speaking to choose smoking cigs over trying different vape products is not the best choice as I’m sure you know. I have a friend at Phillip Morris in VA and there is actually less than 23% actual plant tobacco in a cigarette. Our gracious protectors the FDA has determined that genetically engineered tobacco (grown for the last 30-40 years) cannot be used in a tobacco based the extreme high levels of Nicotine and tar and other natural chemicals. To avoid the BS edict that the FDA cooperatively set up the chemicals are extracted from eh plant material removing it from the category "plant". The paste like substance remaining affectionately referred to as cok is then mixed with thousands of other toxins, extruded like a thin noodle, dried, and chipped to look like tobacco. Legal tobacco and cok is then mixed to make your cig. 

I smoked this poison for 23 years and regret every single dollar I gave to these killers, not to mention the poison smoke I consumed to the tune of 1 1/2 packs a day. 

I’m not saying to vape if you don’t like it or have concerns, I’m saying please stop giving your money to these people and lying to yourself. It’s an addiction and you BRAIN and THOUGHTS will literally work against you to feed that addiction. You cannot argue with logic and science just lie to yourself and taught the first real alternative to smoking EVER.